Pets and Disability Benefits.

Why?

It's none of your business what they spend money on.Surely if they prefer to eat 8p packets of noodles and feed four dogs why is it a problem.

It's every bit my business thank you very much. I'm out there in the real world striving hard and being forced to pay for people who would rather stay at home and get a nice feeling from multiple pets. How cute. NOT!

As a relatively poor, working, person; should any benefits make them wealthier than me?

I know some disable people can work, I assume that there are different levels of benefits. I have seen ppeople in wheelchairs working, so a disability would have to be severe to stop someone working 24/7 100%

Being poor at work shouldn't mean that people on benefits are poorer.

You should earn more if you are poor and working not cut benefits down to your level.

My thought is your take home should be enough to live comfortably as a minimum, a living wage.

Someone who has severe down syndrome, care all their life shouldn't be made to suffer because workers aren't being paid enough to live.

---------- Post added 13-04-2013 at 15:05 ----------

I'm a bit stuck in the middle about this tbh. I don't begrudge someone on benefits having a pet. Heaven forbid I needed to claim I wouldn't want to have to get rid of my cat.

But 4 dogs is a bit much imo. Feeding 4 medium sized ones is going to be costing about £10 a day (2 tins each @£1ea + biscuits) so £70 a week from benefits that are given to help the person live and that's before we looking into things like vet bills/pet insurance.

Four does seem lots but maybe they were budgeting fine, had the dogs for years and now a policy change too far has put them over the edge.

I would be concerned if someone continued to have pets when they couldn't afford to keep them, regardless of benefits or wages as income but I see where you are coming from, the pedigree pdsa thing jumps to mind!

It's every bit my business thank you very much. I'm out there in the real world striving hard and being forced to pay for people who would rather stay at home and get a nice feeling from multiple pets. How cute. NOT!

In your opinion you're out striving hard. We're talking disabled benefits here,in every likelihood some of them would rather not stay at home.

How about we ensure all self employed people and all landlords pay the correct taxes,then we could pay disabled people even more to help trying to live their lives.

Hate to burst your bubble but not all long term disabled people choose to stay home doing nothing.

Some of them are even really ill...

Being poor at work shouldn't mean that people on benefits are poorer.

Six months ago I was classed as single and got no benefits, I am now classed as a one parent family, so I get quite a lot in benefits.

I guess this thread is about how do we measure how poor people are.

I cannot afford a car at the moment, but most do. I can afford one small pet, how do we measure a persons wealth?

In your opinion you're out striving hard. We're talking disabled benefits here,in every likelihood some of them would rather not stay at home.

How about we ensure all self employed people and all landlords pay the correct taxes,then we could pay disabled people even more to help trying to live their lives.

Do you know who should be paying for disabled people to live their lives? Their OWN FAMILIES! But that's another debate.

Now answer me this clever boots, do you know what happens when a country hounds and harasses those who make ALL the money, creates new enterprises and jobs, employs all the people, and pays the MAJORITY of all the taxes, they pack up and LEAVE the country. In the end, do you know what will be left, lots of unemployed and disabled people with nobody to pay for them. Rich people are leaving this country in big numbers.

Do you know who should be paying for disabled people to live their lives? Their OWN FAMILIES! But that's another debate.

Now answer me this clever boots, do you know what happens when a country hounds and harasses those who make ALL the money, creates new enterprises and jobs, employs all the people, and pays the MAJORITY of all the taxes, they pack up and LEAVE the country. In the end, do you know what will be left, lots of unemployed and disabled people with nobody to pay for them. Rich people are leaving this country in big numbers.

What a shock resorting to insults already.

I never said anything about the rich i was suggesting that everyone paid their fair share of taxes. Millions of self employed don't,thousands of landlords don't declare the income they make.

If they want to leave the country i'll give them a lift to the airport.

Six months ago I was classed as single and got no benefits, I am now classed as a one parent family, so I get quite a lot in benefits.

I guess this thread is about how do we measure how poor people are.

I cannot afford a car at the moment, but most do. I can afford one small pet, how do we measure a persons wealth?

True.

What we see as well off others would scoff at.

I have four pets, two poodles and two stray cats who are now ours, we don't get benefits (last year the family allowance stopped but we do live in a council house so subsidy there depending on your views) the family works but we are closer to broke than we should be!

I think we do ok, we struggle but we manage. I wouldn't want someone to lose their companion I would hate to be without mine.

Thats incorrect.

I feed four dogs and IF i didn't squander money on pet treats i can feed them for £20 ish - a month.So adding on dog biscuits which is about another £2 a week thats less than £30 a month.

Thats for two large boxers and two medium dogs.

Nonsense. You cannot keep 4 dogs in reasonable health with regards to their diet for £30 a month.

Archived