Nearly 3 million council houses sold-Where has the money gone?

Did the money go to the local council or central government ?

Good question!

I believe that the money from the sale of the homes went to Local Government but that they couldn't spend it.

I'm happy to be corrected on that, and I'd also like to know where it is now.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 17:33 ----------

http://www.channel4.com/news/cameron-resurrects-right-to-buy-scheme

Since 1980, just under 2 million council homes have been sold in England. In that time, 344,000 council homes have been built.

They were likely sold for much less than £60K each, my parents paid £9k, and the ones that were sold didn't need any future maintenance. Our local council have just spent £24 per council house modernising them. So nationally they saved 4,800,0000,000 because the new owner paid to modernize the 2,000,000 that were sold.

To be fair that is balanced out by those in the South being considerably more expensive,. I know of someone who paid £140k to buy his COuncil flat in London.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 17:35 ----------

There's a lot of money goes into the coffers, running a country isn't cheap you know.

I just find it very odd that people think the Tory government were very prudent with spending when this and the North Sea Oil revenues were very welcome indeed.

Good question!

I believe that the money from the sale of the homes went to Local Government but that they couldn't spend it.

I'm happy to be corrected on that, and I'd also like to know where it is now.

And also the money they saved on repairs and modernisation which was not spent on the houses which were sold.

As I have said before it was a shrewd move on behalf of the government/councils to sell off some of their housing stock. If people would only stop repeating the political dogma and examine the facts.

http://www.channel4.com/news/cameron-resurrects-right-to-buy-scheme

Since 1980, just under 2 million council homes have been sold in England. In that time, 344,000 council homes have been built.

I did see a BBC web page say that 2 million had been sold, I thought that might have been an underestimation.

1972 45,000 were sold, 1981 60,000 were sold, 1983 130,000 were sold, 1988 150,000 were sold, 1995 50,000 were sold and 1999 170,000 were sold

And all the years in between, it must be well over 2 million

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 17:41 ----------

It still is one hefty chunk of money that seems to have gone into Government coffers over the years.

The Government or Council wont have any money, or little, if they were given 50% and more discount, all the money has gone to the people who bought them.

And also the money they saved on repairs and modernisation which was not spent on the houses which were sold.

As I have said before it was a shrewd move on behalf of the government/councils to sell off some of their housing stock. If people would only stop repeating the political dogma and examine the facts.

Shrewd for the Government yes, but not for the electorate of the country as we seem to have vastly undersold our assets.

Since 1980 nearly three million Council Houses have been sold, which irrespective of the rights/wrongs of the policy will have generated billions into the finances of the country (the money couldn't go to Local Authorities).

So given that this money wasn't re-invested in new housing, what did Thatchers government (and some under Labour) do with all this money which I reckon at an average price of £60k (probably a lot more than that) would be around 180000000000.(Could someone convert that to Billions?)

Was this swallowed up (along with the North Sea Oil revenue) in paying Benefits out to the unemployed?

Also, these houses belonged to all of us and they were sold off at huge discounts, does anyone else feel a bit aggrieved by this as I know I do.

I think you are way over estimating the house prices of the 80's. I bought my first house in 2000 before the bubble, paid less than £30k for a semi in a private area, no council houses around it. So in the 80's your probably looking at £10-15k for a semi detatched house, but council properties wouldn't have been worth as much, and they'd have been purchased at discount, so at a guess they might have only brought £5000 per house.

The money would have gone into a central pot. It's a bit like saying vehicle tax and petrol duty should be spent on the roads.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 18:15 ----------

According to wiki it's only 2 million council homes sold via right-to-buy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_Buy

What about minusing the money it would have cost to update and maintain them?

I remember seeing a bill for works to a house assigned to kosavans for 8 grand.The council did everything right down to painting the floor boards grey before carpeting while the house next doors bill came to 300 quid.She wernt happy her wood windows were hanging off while the house next door under the same roof got the same treatment.She wernt rasist but boy was did she have resentment!

big groups of council housing was sectioned of for the sole use of foreigners.Want to know where the money went? It wasnt spent on the uk residents thats for sure!

Who was in charge? Labour!!

What about minusing the money it would have cost to update and maintain them?

I remember seeing a bill for works to a house assigned to kosavans for 8 grand.The council did everything right down to painting the floor boards grey before carpeting while the house next doors bill came to 300 quid.She wernt happy her wood windows were hanging off while the house next door under the same roof got the same treatment.She wernt rasist but boy was did she have resentment!

big groups of council housing was sectioned of for the sole use of foreigners.Want to know where the money went? It wasnt spent on the uk residents thats for sure!

Who was in charge? Labour!!

Where are these houses?

Archived