Nearly 3 million council houses sold-Where has the money gone?

The money was used on tax cuts for the wealthy and to pay the spiraling benefits system,all created by Thatchers mob :rant:

In effect are you saying some of the money received from the sale of council houses was used to subsidise via benefits the rent of those who stayed in council accommodation ?

Agreed, but don't lose sight of the fact that when most people lived in council houses, 1940/50/60s they paid their own full rent.

In later years housing benefit has been provided to many tenants.

This isn't paid to those who bought their homes thereby saving the council/government money.

The people who can afford to buy their council houses wouldn't pass the means test to be eligible for housing benefit. So selling council houses to those people does not save on housing benefit.

The people who can afford to buy their council houses wouldn't pass the means test to be eligible for housing benefit. So selling council houses to those people does not save on housing benefit.

The point I was making was that many in council houses are eligible for housing benefits nowadays so this is another expense related to council housing.

Years ago council housing was not such an expense as most households paid their own full rent.

The point I was making was that many in council houses are eligible for housing benefits nowadays so this is another expense related to council housing.

Years ago council housing was not such an expense as most households paid their own full rent.

But the same people, were they in private rented accommodation - possibly even an ex council house, would still be eligible for housing benefit. In fact, because rents in the private sector are generally greater than those in the public sector, they get even more in housing benefit.

Years ago private housing was not such an expense as most households paid their own full rent.

But the same people, were they in private rented accommodation - possibly even an ex council house, would still be eligible for housing benefit. In fact, because rents in the private sector are generally greater than those in the public sector, they get even more in housing benefit.

Years ago private housing was not such an expense as most households paid their own full rent.

I was referring to those who had purchased their homes and were paying mortgages.

I was referring to those who had purchased their homes and were paying mortgages.

My main point is the claims you're making for the economic benefits of selling council houses don't add up because you keep ignoring important details. e.g. Claiming that selling council houses means councils save money because no longer have to pay to maintain them whilst ignoring the fact that councils receive rent from those houses they do keep - which pays for their maintenance.

My main point is the claims you're making for the economic benefits of selling council houses don't add up because you keep ignoring important details. e.g. Claiming that selling council houses means councils save money because no longer have to pay to maintain them whilst ignoring the fact that councils receive rent from those houses they do keep - which pays for their maintenance.

But if much of the rent is paid from housing benefit ........

Archived