277th Sutton scouts

arrodbo

I was a scout in the middle/late 1950s and our meetings were held in Sutton Hall on dunnella rd. on the wisewood estate. The scoutmaster was Roger Nowill and we all had great times camping at Hesley woods Chapeltown (I thought it was million miles from home)

We also formed a little skiffle group based on Lonnie Donegan, The only name of another member i can recall was Ian Laughton who lived as a lad on Middlewood Rd.

Does anyone remember this troop? I now live away from Sheffield but still get back periodically

Yes Roy, I was your troop leader right up to going in the Navy. Roger Nowill was the Landlord of the Pig and Whistle in later years. I spoke to Ian Laughton a couple of years ago at the Northern Gen. He now has a bad ticker. Can't remember the other lads for the life of me. Was Alan Mettam one?

He had a couple of pubs in the city centre but he must be retired now, the Frog and Parrot was one where be brewed the famous Roger and Out beer. He will be about 68/69. He once had a shine for my sister Anne, poor bloke. I do remember the delicious taste of cold baked beans up at Hesley wood camp. You would eat anything when you were starving.

He had a couple of pubs in the city centre but he must be retired now, the Frog and Parrot was one where be brewed the famous Roger and Out beer. He will be about 68/69. He once had a shine for my sister Anne, poor bloke. I do remember the delicious taste of cold baked beans up at Hesley wood camp. You would eat anything when you were starving.

I had forgotten the old hut and the 228th(Memories crap), and yes i was in the old cubs before joining Sutton

• 2 weeks later...

Archived