Text Speak annoyances

I hate it and my OH does it although I'm slowly weaning her off it.

In the beginning of the internet/mobile phones it had it's purpose but now with internet speeds as they are and pretty much every mobile tariff having unlimited texts there's no need for it.

The odd shortened word or acronym is fine. 'txt spk' nope.

I am from Bulgaria but here people are also grammatical uneducated. They write on latin in chats and with some stupid abbreviations. I can't explain to myself why is all this. I see that is not only in mu country which is shame.

I hate it when people put "of" when they mean have and "been" for being. Although I use "text speak" when using my mobile phone, I would certainly not use it on a forum. I have noticed that a lot of people who cannot spell words correctly seem to do so because they cannot speak properly so they write words as they say them. Maybe it all goes back to the days when the governments at the time decided that phonetic spellings were the way to go and "proper" spellings didn't matter - it was thoughts that mattered!! Now we seem to have an entire generation that cannot string a sentence together either verbally or in the written word.

I don't use txtspk on my mobile either. My phone has a Swype keyboard which means that whole words are just a squiggle away and you can send a short essay in only a few seconds.

I struggle more when I try to change my spelling to enable txtspk typing. I no longer think about where the keys are on the keyboard and regularly have times when I'm typing whilst having a face to face conversation with someone so I can't look at the keyboard anyway. Once you get used to where the keys are, it really doesn't take any longer to enter text in longhand and other people prefer it too.

It's quicker to type? how many of you have actually used a modern phone for texting? They're an absolute joy. The predictive is so good, you barely even have to hit the correct letters and it still works out the right word for you. Technically it would be quicker, but by...not even half a second.

I hate it when people put "of" when they mean have and "been" for being. Although I use "text speak" when using my mobile phone, I would certainly not use it on a forum. I have noticed that a lot of people who cannot spell words correctly seem to do so because they cannot speak properly so they write words as they say them. Maybe it all goes back to the days when the governments at the time decided that phonetic spellings were the way to go and "proper" spellings didn't matter - it was thoughts that mattered!! Now we seem to have an entire generation that cannot string a sentence together either verbally or in the written word.

I think you have a valid point, I cringe at 'of' and 'been' as well. Not text speak but they don't make reading pleasant. I also really dislike seeing 'we where' instead of 'we were'. I have visions of seeing sentences like 'where where you?' although people who don't get grammar might be more likely to use 'where was you?'. ;)

Quite honestly, when I'm sending a text message, it takes me longer to think of the shorter version, ie text speak language, than it does to put in the proper word!

Old phone tariffs with restricted number of texts meant I used shortened words wherever I could, like 'u' and '2moro', but I found myself finishing the message, then going back again to shorten even more words. I hated not being able to fit in all the punctuation.

Far easier now, although I tried once to use one of those 'slidey' phones (:confused:) and they just drive me mad.

Archived