Laws about toilet breaks at work

Hi people

My girlfriend works at McDonalds and she says yesterday she needed the lol but the manager refused her to do so. She was working 11am to 6pm and had a 45min break. Is there any laws about if you really need to loo?

Did she wet herself, or did she decide that she didnt neet the loo?

This is unbelievable. This is a normal human need which is people's right at some point. How could this be the manager to stop her to go to the toilet. Where this world goes...

If you were an employer and you gave your employee a 45 min break which they returned from and then asked to go to the toilet, which would mean them away from their duties for a further 5-10mins whilst everyone else was having to work to cover their duties as well as their own, wouldn't you be a little annoyed?

In the end I don't think the OP is telling the whole story and she probably was allowed to go but she got moaned at for doing so, probably arising from the situation above.

Sounds like she's only telling you part of the story, there must be a valid reason why she was refused.

Why MUST there be a valid reason?

There are some nasty people out there who get their kicks out of abusing what little power they have. This could be one of those cases.

It must be a matter of reasonableness.

If you have a medical problem which means you have to 'go' every hour or so, then it is something you need to discuss with your line manager. Most people can last a few hours i.e. in between breaks.

I was a teacher for 30 years and would have considered it inappropriate to leave a class during a lesson to go to the toilet, but I'd guess disability issues may apply if you genuinely cannot wait for 2 hours until the next break.

What's the situation as regard smoking breaks these days? (Needless to say they never applied to teachers).

Why MUST there be a valid reason?

There are some nasty people out there who get their kicks out of abusing what little power they have. This could be one of those cases.

I said there must have been a valid reason why she was refused because otherwise the manager couldn't refuse a toilet break.

Strange really. McDonalds are internationally respected for setting up systems and processes to squeeze every last bit of profit out of their operations through efficiency. But they seem to have nothing in place for their staff to take fast bathroom breaks whilst carrying out their duties. I might invent something.

I said there must have been a valid reason why she was refused because otherwise the manager couldn't refuse a toilet break.

Do you mean "couldn't legally", because there's nothing that physically stops them from saying "no" because they're a power mad little hitler (if that were the case of course).

Do you mean "couldn't legally", because there's nothing that physically stops them from saying "no" because they're a power mad little hitler (if that were the case of course).

There are plenty of them that work in the workplace and Mc D is notorious for power trippers. From my experience.

To the Op, I don't think they can say no, to needing the loo. When you need to go you need to go lol.

Archived