Baby formula shortage?

I tried to buy 3 tins of SMA Comfort for my 9 week old in Boots the other day and was told that retailers are rationing it to two tins per customer per day after large quantities were being bought in bulk to export to China. Then yesturday a friend told me she could not buy Aptamil in a couple of supermarkets this week. Has anyone else noticed shortages in Sheffield? From other items I have seen on the Net it looks like some parts of the country are shelves are emptying quickly of certain brands. The thought of struggling to buy formula for my baby is very scary and unfortunately I have not been able to breastfeed him.

I tried to buy 3 tins of SMA Comfort for my 9 week old in Boots the other day and was told that retailers are rationing it to two tins per customer per day after large quantities were being bought in bulk to export to China. Then yesturday a friend told me she could not buy Aptamil in a couple of supermarkets this week. Has anyone else noticed shortages in Sheffield? From other items I have seen on the Net it looks like some parts of the country are shelves are emptying quickly of certain brands. The thought of struggling to buy formula for my baby is very scary and unfortunately I have not been able to breastfeed him.

Hopefully the rationing will stop people clearing the shelves of baby formula milk and selling it on to China on websites like Ebay, where is can go for three times the price that it does here. This is down to a loss of confidence in China of local baby formula milk which ended up killing some babies a few years ago. Have you thought of buy the milk online from Amazon?

Hopefully the rationing will stop people clearing the shelves of baby formula milk and selling it on to China on websites like Ebay, where is can go for three times the price that it does here. This is down to a loss of confidence in China of local baby formula milk which ended up killing some babies a few years ago. Have you thought of buy the milk online from Amazon?

Not as yet but I guess that is a possibility. I don't actually know if there is a shortage of the stuff I buy. There may well prove to be no problem at all. I know Aptamil and Cow and Gate started to run low earlier this year due to a problem with ingredient supplies for their comfort milk - perhaps consumers of this brand are stocking up in particular because of this experience. Still, I found it hated to sleep for worrying last night - as if my nights aren't sleepless enough at the moment!

Not as yet but I guess that is a possibility. I don't actually know if there is a shortage of the stuff I buy. There may well prove to be no problem at all. I know Aptamil and Cow and Gate started to run low earlier this year due to a problem with ingredient supplies for their comfort milk - perhaps consumers of this brand are stocking up in particular because of this experience. Still, I found it hated to sleep for worrying last night - as if my nights aren't sleepless enough at the moment!

I guess that's what the Chinese do most nights ; worry about feeding the only child they have - so wrong to deny them adequate food and distressing that others would seek to make excessive money out of that predicament.

Yes, I have been thinking of what families have gone through and must still be going through. Absolutely terrifying - as a new mum I find almost overwhelming the fear of harm to your child.

Its an awful situation - hope you get some good nights sleep soon and that your worries are resolved.

I'm not going to pry, and am not asking you to reply to this post, but most people don't know that initial difficulties with breastfeeding don't necessarily rule it out completely. It may be possible to begin now (depending on what the prohibiting factor was), as it is possible for almost any woman to breastfeed, even without giving birth. The body produces milk in response to being suckled

It may be worth speaking to your local breastfeeding support worker

I'm not going to pry, and am not asking you to reply to this post, but most people don't know that initial difficulties with breastfeeding don't necessarily rule it out completely. It may be possible to begin now (depending on what the prohibiting factor was), as it is possible for almost any woman to breastfeed, even without giving birth. The body produces milk in response to being suckled

It may be worth speaking to your local breastfeeding support worker

I never knew that I have to admit. I don't think it's a route we can go down though -without going into details introducing formula was a last resort and under the guidance of my midwife. I find what you said slightly reassuring though I thought once you'd stopped that was it.

Archived