World War 1 Munitions Factories

Darwener

Hiya,

There were lots of factories and engineering works in the city, some of the biggest steel combines and works were constructed during and after the war. Even in the first year of the war, there were dozens it could have been. Having said that, if you post your grandfather's name, place of origin and date he passed away, people might be able to trace something for you (using local studies library/city archive/kelham industrial archives).

More and more people flocked to the city from the surrounding areas as the demand for labour grew, your grandfather's experience was quite common - and many such people stayed in the city. The influx had all kinds of connatations, not least that people were squashed together in packed tenements and courtyards. Wooden housing was built, some of which was still being used twenty years later (even though it was meant to be temporary). At one point just after the war, people even lived in graveyards.

There are lots of work on Sheffield's wartime experiences; 'Sheffield: Armourers to the British Empire' by Dalton really is an excellent work, complete with fascinating photos. I would strongly recommend it if you want to get an insight into your grandfather's experiences. Other general works on sheffield history, such as by Vickers (himself a member of the famous Vickers family, who may even have employed your grandfather), may be of help.

All the best,

TRW

Hi Darwener,

My Great Grandfather died in an accident at "The Gun Shop" at Vickers, River Don Works in September 1915. The details of where and how he died are on his death death certificate, so you should be able to find out where your grandfather died if you get a copy of this.

I also contacted Sheffield archives to ask if they knew where details of the inquest would be held. They told me that inquest records used to be destroyed after 15 years, but advised me to take a look in the newspapers of the time which are held on microfiche at the Local Studies Library.

I did this and found reports of the accident and inquest in two papers.

Good luck with your search.

Archived