Things you 'have' to get 100% right every time, or you could die!

I just turned my light off after washing my hands but I'm not dead. Then I turned the kettle on, still with wet fingers and I'm still not dead.

What's going on? Surely I should have had that chat with him downstairs and be in line for my first pitchfork rogering no?

I just turned my light off after washing my hands but I'm not dead. Then I turned the kettle on, still with wet fingers and I'm still not dead.

What's going on? Surely I should have had that chat with him downstairs and be in line for my first pitchfork rogering no?

Tell you what run yourself a bath, plug in the little leccy fire and jump in said bath with it in your arms, I guarantee you won't reply.

Tell you what run yourself a bath, plug in the little leccy fire and jump in said bath with it in your arms, I guarantee you won't reply.

I don't have an electric fire handy, but if I did very little would happen apart from the RCD jumping.

Water is a fairly poor conductor of electricity. The main risk in a bathroom or kitchen isn't actually from the water.

I don't have an eletrci fire handy, but if I did very little would happen apart from the RCD jumping.

Water is a fairly poor conductor of electricity. The main risk in a bathroom or kitchen isn't actually from the water.

But are you confident enough in the theory to try it?lol.

I know I wouldn't be.

But are you confident enough in the theory to try it?lol.

I know I wouldn't be.

Perfectly happy to.

Have you got an electric shower? Many of those run the heating element in the water stream with no insulation on the heating element at all. They have such a high power output that the insulation couldnt cope with the heat and would just fall off.

So one end of the water stream is you, and if you follow the stream up to the showerhead, down the pipe and into the heater you get to a live conductor. but no-one dies. Water is a really poor conductor of electricity.

The problem in kitchens and bathrooms is that you have a bath or sink, made of metal that is earthed. The taps are connected to earthed metal pipes. That means you can touch a mechanically defective switch, and also touch earth at the same time, and that's a problem. Hence you need pullswitches inside the designated safe zone.

If you have a large bathroom, such that part of the bathroom is more than 3 metres from the edge of the protected zones you can fit normal sockets for example. This is because you cannot put one hand on the earthed sinks, and the other on the socket. Water is not the worry - it's bridging between a good electrical earth and a faulty switch.

Water is a conductor but not as good as copper and metals, electricity's main aim in life is to go to earth if you become a way for the electricity to get to earth you will get a shock,bathrooms are dangerous places for electricity as there are a lot of pipes and things that go to earth, electricity can go through you water and down to earth you make the circuit as you are mainly water you make a very good conductor,the worst kind of shock to get is from an appliance they need DC current to run DC means direct current,this current has usually in say a washing machine has been through a transformer and a diode rectifier in the machine to correct the AC alternating current that comes through the mains to DC this is the electricity that will kill you no messing especially if the current goes down the left side of your body this will stop your heart and you will die,mains electricity is AC this is alternating in other words it pulses on and off very fast,this can give you chance to basically get free from the pull of the electricity,so from a mains shock depending on where and what side of your body the electricity enters your body you have a good chance of surviving a mains shock I was a TV repairman for many years and I have had many mains power shocks and I am still here.

Archived