What to do with old (ripped!) jeans??

I have about 10 pairs of jeans that I need to get rid of - most of them are designer / brand jeans (ie. Ralph Lauren, Ted Baker, Gap, etc.) and all have some sort of rip or hole(s) in them! (just through wear & tear).

I obviously cant give them to a charity for them to sell on but it does seem a bit of a waste to just chuck them in the bin.

I just wondered if they could be recycled / reused in anyway??

Any ideas??

Thanks!!

Why did you have to mention they were branded jeans let alone desogner jeans?

I wrote that from my luxury 20 bed mansion out in the Peak District where I employed 5 people to clear my 2 mile driveway when I snowed a few weeks ago

Ha, I love SF!! :)

I just thought the fact that they are good quality denim might mean they may appeal more to someone - ie. I was thinking maybe someone might want to use them to restyle (patches, artistic mending, etc) or to make cut-offs (am thinking Great British Sewing Bee!).

Or maybe for use in craft projects? For someone working in textiles / fashion etc??

Maybe a clothing / fabric recycling plant might be my best bet?

And they are good quality - it's just like I said, they are old and have worn through general wear & tear as these things do.

Anyway, must dash - the butler has just called us in for afternoon tea.... ;)

Why not recycle them yourself, into your own 'designer' jeans. I know it's a long time ago, but my very first pair of 'shrink-to-fit' Levi's lasted me years, cos every time they developed a hole or whatever, I recycled something else to make a patch for it. Even when the zip broke. I removed it, and replaced it with the tabs off an old (horribly coloured) Levi jacket, along with two Levi buttons (the metal type) cunningly added. And they say recycling is a relatively new concept. I'm talking early 1970's

Ha, I love SF!! :)

I just thought the fact that they are good quality denim might mean they may appeal more to someone - ie. I was thinking maybe someone might want to use them to restyle (patches, artistic mending, etc) or to make cut-offs (am thinking Great British Sewing Bee!).

Or maybe for use in craft projects? For someone working in textiles / fashion etc??

Maybe a clothing / fabric recycling plant might be my best bet?

And they are good quality - it's just like I said, they are old and have worn through general wear & tear as these things do.

Anyway, must dash - the butler has just called us in for afternoon tea.... ;)

Modern jeans have never seen good quality denim

That's probably because it's like cardboard, uncomfortable and takes forever to 'soften'.

More likely it has lead to an increase in profit for the business owners/shareholders.

... there I go again

More likely it has lead to an increase in profit for the business owners/shareholders.

... there I go again

You may be quite right. But if you've ever bought a pair of 'good quality' (cardboard) jeans, then you'll know how 'chaffing' and uncomfortable they are for at least 10 washes. Whereas, the modern ones are pre-washed (and shrunk) and are comfortable from the word go.

just give it to a charity shop. There is this widespread misapprehension that when you give clothes to charity, they just clean them and patch them up a bit and sell them to somebody else in the same town. But it's not like that all. There is a massive multi-national multi-million pound clothes recycling business that employs countless tens if not hundreds of thousands of people to ship, refashion, market and sell etc, the items that were unwanted by their previous rich western owners. The chances are that your unwanted jeans will be refashioned and then sold at quite a high price, to some other 'hipster' who will want them to go to a party or a disco in somewhere like Lusaka or Maputo.

Archived