More expenses for MPs

Without Thatcher we'd be a tin pot country with no money at all. If you think the present austerity is bad, it would have probably been worse, but lasting right from the mid-80s right to the present day. It's thanks to Thatcher we still have a reasonably well functioning competative economy. So go ahead and spend £8m, RIP.

The wise words of a ten bob millionaire, :rolleyes:

Why did it need to be recalled? we were not at war or some national disaster that NEEDED the mps. Nope, just another excuse to screw the public (not that they need one)

Exactly why couldn't MPs pay there respect today rather than be recalled last week?

Without Thatcher we'd be a tin pot country with no money at all. If you think the present austerity is bad, it would have probably been worse, but lasting right from the mid-80s right to the present day. It's thanks to Thatcher we still have a reasonably well functioning competative economy. So go ahead and spend £8m, RIP.

Your opinion of Thatcher is not really what this thread is about. It's about the government wasting money when it suits them.

We have a funeral next week for my 100 year old mother in law who was in the steel works in the war and then became a Sheffield cutlery worker and buffer girl.

She did more for this Country than Thatcher and her elk inc her waste of space kids can ever dream about.

Maybe they will send a little of the ten million it will cost for Thatchers funeral our way and perhaps £3000 each for expenses will be forthcoming as well.

There has been no injury, and there is little insult save for the faux synthetic outrage of a few predictable folk on here. Parliament has been recalled -this is an expense beyond what was expected. If I got dragged from holiday to the office you can bet your boots that I'd claim expenses for that - I fail to see why Westminster cannot.

As for First class, it's not likely you would geta flight FC from the Caribbean at that price anyway, but if you did then you would be able to work effectively on the aircraft which is one reason that the Civil Service used to permit such travel by more senior members.

I remember watching a documentary many years ago about working on the front line in a benefits office.

One guy who was in reciept of benefits was desperate to go somewhere else in the country to his mother or father's funeral. As I remember it, he filled out a form for a crisis loan and was turned down. It always stuck with me.

I remember watching a documentary many years ago about working on the front line in a benefits office.

One guy who was in reciept of benefits was desperate to go somewhere else in the country to his mother or father's funeral. As I remember it, he filled out a form for a crisis loan and was turned down. It always stuck with me.

I hope you can find some comfort, as I do and millions up and down the country, in the fact that 'we're all in this together'.

Archived