Have you observed birds “helping” each other.

There is this female blackbird that hangs around the base of the wooden post where I have a bird feeder hanging (containing mealworms). The tits come to the feeder and for some reason toss some mealworms out-almost like they are rejecting them. The blackbird then eats them up off the grass. I`m not sure if the tits are helping the ground feeding birds intentionally or if it is a coincidence.

Has anyone made similar observations?

I think small birds of different species do flock and feed together - its because the more eyes there are the less chance of being eaten-there's a term for it that I can't remember..sowhat you are saying makes some sense-if there's plenty of food...

Yeah ... they do exactly the same in my garden. The tits and sparrows seem to flick almost half of what they pick onto the ground.

The blackbird/s are usually there when they do this, but I've noticed other little birds picking up from the ground but then they rush back under a bush to eat. Maybe it's the males flicking it out to make it easier for the females (or vice versa more like!)

The pigeons are a bit daft. They just seem to strut around, more bothered about stopping other pigeons getting any food, than trying to grab the food when they can.

I don't like it when a huge flock of big birds comes whooshing down!! Crows, or jays ... magpies are the worst. They stuff loads into their mouths, leaving nothing for the little ones ... grrrrr

I regularly get starlings visiting my feeders(they go mad for the homemade bird cake). More often than not one starling appears first - as though it's scouting to see if I've put some food out - and, after about a minute, it flies off. A few minutes later it returns with a small army of starlings.

I've seen similar behaviour in jackdaws too. So I definitely think some birds help others.

Archived