Soap slithers: are they a problem?

Good moaning to you too!

Anyway, I've got a question for the forum boffins!

Why is it that when the soap 'slither' (I think I prefer that :hihi:) gets too small it no longer lathers?

And is there an optimum size at which the bar of soap becomes a 'slither'?

(OK that was two questions...) :D

The answer to this is both simple and complicated (to keep it simple I won't bother with surface tension or entropy). Basically a bubble soap (or surfactant) molecule is comprised of a hydrophobic tail (water hating, oil liking) and a hydrophilic head (water liking). To form a bubble you need a sufficient concentration of surfactant molecules in the water to form a triphasic micelle. This will initially take the form of a layer of surfactant molecules at the surface of the water whereby their hydrophobic tails are in the air and their hydrophilic heads are in the water.

A bubble forms when you get a pocket of air enclosed by a bilateral layer of surfactant molecules each with their heads in a thin layer of water and their tails in air (some sticking out into the air outside the bubble and some to the air inside the bubble).

In order for micelles to form the concentration of surfactant molecules in the water has to reach a critical concentration, this is known as the critical micelle concentration (CMC), this critical concentration is acheived by rubbing the wet soap between your hands in order to dissolve the soap in the water. When the bar of soap gets very small it beccomes difficult to rub it effectively enough to dissolve enough soap in the water so the ratio of soap to water goes down; basically not dissolving enough soap in the water to reach the CMC, hence no bubbles.

Here's a pic of the triphasic system seen in a bubble

http://maartenrutgers.org/science/soapbasics/gifs/bubble.gif

jb

You squeeze it onto a wash cloth, or one of them puff things. :D

... and with each day we all learn a little more about the everyday tribulations of life as a SF mod. :shocked:

Ewwww....I don't like those puff thingies....or wash cloths come to that...I much prefer a good ol' rake with soap and water! besides, it cleans under your fingernails a treat!

You might have gathered Mr B...I'm not your 'average' mod. I'm special! (and before anyone comments....not 'special needs'...hahahaha :hihi:)

The answer to this is both simple and complicated (to keep it simple I won't bother with surface tension or entropy). Basically a bubble soap (or surfactant) molecule is comprised of a hydrophobic tail (water hating, oil liking) and a hydrophilic head (water liking). To form a bubble you need a sufficient concentration of surfactant molecules in the water to form a triphasic micelle. This will initially take the form of a layer of surfactant molecules at the surface of the water whereby their hydrophobic tails are in the air and their hydrophilic heads are in the water.

A bubble forms when you get a pocket of air enclosed by a bilateral layer of surfactant molecules each with their heads in a thin layer of water and their tails in air (some sticking out into the air outside the bubble and some to the air inside the bubble).

In order for micelles to form the concentration of surfactant molecules in the water has to reach a critical concentration, this is known as the critical micelle concentration (CMC), this critical concentration is acheived by rubbing the wet soap between your hands in order to dissolve the soap in the water. When the bar of soap gets very small the ratio of soap to water goes down so your basically not dissolving enough soap in the water to reach the CMC, hence no bubbles.

jb

Thanks for that - I knew there would be a simple explanation!

Now does anyone know how to unclog a kitchen liquidiser? :(

In order for micelles to form the concentration of surfactant molecules in the water has to reach a critical concentration, this is known as the critical micelle concentration (CMC), this critical concentration is acheived by rubbing the wet soap between your hands in order to dissolve the soap in the water. When the bar of soap gets very small it beccomes difficult to rub it effectively enough to dissolve enough soap in the water so the ratio of soap to water goes down; basically not dissolving enough soap in the water to reach the CMC, hence no bubbles.

jb

Crikey....who'd have thought! There ya go Mr B....you have now learnt something everyone should know!....Brilliant post!...Thanks jb

Advertisement ...

Turn unwanted emollient surfactants from 'soap' into 'soup' using the all new ABtureen'.

This remarkable invention turns seemingly worthless soap scratchings into delicious soup in a matter of hours.

Simply fill the tureen with unwanted soap particles, add water (or any other kind of stock) and set the dial!

Pull up a chair and watch as the soap is transformed in front of your very eyes into soups of the most contrived diversity and farinaciousness!

Enjoy such flavours as Camay consomme, Palmolive puree (with croutons), Imperial French onion leather, and of course Vichyssoise a la Dove (for the more competent).

For the all in price of £135.50, the ABtureen represents excellent value for money ... simply send cash to 'Area 51 and a half' and the remarkable device will be delivered after I've been to Currys within a matter of days.

Terms and conditions apply.

If you don'd believe me, read this testimonial (as featured in a top cooking magazine) ...

Delia Smith ... 'So tell me, Alcoblog ... what do you think of the new ABtureen?'

AB ... 'It's very nice'

Liquid soap. It's the future.

I have to agree. Not had 'bar' soap for yonks.

Pete, you need to get one of those lace curtain type dooberries for a scrub in the shower........ cant beat a good scrub with one of those, especially round the back of the .......... never mind :o

I only wish they would bring a gel out with the same fragrance as the old Pears soap!

Archived