The Prisoners BBC1 Monday Nights Homeless on release.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s1mdl/The_Prisoners_Episode_1/

So last night I watched the first episode of The Prisoners and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Prisoners coming to the end of their terms in jail with nowhere to go are literally kicked out on to the street with a few quid and so are instantly made homeless the second they leave. Housing and other benefits take weeks sometimes months to organise so they are forced to sleep on the street or in parks. No wonder some of these guys are petrified of leaving jail and fear being released and keep returning. If this is really what is happening I feel very ashamed for genuinely not knowing. Not all those in prison are evil or bad through and through and definitely deserve a second chance for a normal life. One angry ex prisoner shouts at his advisor on the outside, "where are you sleeping tonight?, I'm going to be sleeping in the park!" I could see his point.

Are you saying we dont have any hostels or "halfway houses" in the UK? I thought we did.

I can't comment on that, don't know enough about it hence this thread, the system seemed to fail these guys though. Did you watch it? I'd like to learn more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s1mdl/The_Prisoners_Episode_1/

So last night I watched the first episode of The Prisoners and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Prisoners coming to the end of their terms in jail with nowhere to go are literally kicked out on to the street with a few quid and so are instantly made homeless the second they leave. Housing and other benefits take weeks sometimes months to organise so they are forced to sleep on the street or in parks. No wonder some of these guys are petrified of leaving jail and fear being released and keep returning. If this is really what is happening I feel very ashamed for genuinely not knowing. Not all those in prison are evil or bad through and through and definitely deserve a second chance for a normal life. One angry ex prisoner shouts at his advisor on the outside, "where are you sleeping tonight?, I'm going to be sleeping in the park!" I could see his point.

There are plenty of rental properties available and the rent would be covered by housing benefits, much like everyone else that doesn't have a job or a home.

I'm not really talking about the private rental sector, more the council would at least have some provision in place for those leaving prison. Not, well if you've got no friends and family, it's the street or the park for you until we process your claims. No wonder it's not working.

There are plenty of rental properties available and the rent would be covered by housing benefits, much like everyone else that doesn't have a job or a home.

Have you any idea how long it takes to get these things like housing benefit in place and the amount of red tape that has to be gone through?

Meanwhile some guy is expected to live on the street with £46 in his pocket, to last for 6 weeks or more (average time for a normal claim, probably longer in his case 'cos his case isn't 'normal')

And 99% of rented properties require an expensive bond to be paid up front, usually a months rent. Where's he going to get that from?

Have you any idea how long it takes to get these things like housing benefit in place and the amount of red tape that has to be gone through?

Meanwhile some guy is expected to live on the street with £46 in his pocket for 6 weeks or more (average time for a normal claim, probably longer in his case 'cos his case isn't 'normal')

And 99% of rented properties require an expensive bond to be paid up front, usually a months rent. Where's he going to get that from?

Would that be any different for me if my other half booted me out of the house tomorrow with just the cloths on my back.

Meanwhile some guy is expected to live on the street with £46 in his pocket, to last for 6 weeks or more (average time for a normal claim, probably longer in his case 'cos his case isn't 'normal')

Anna has put this across so much better than me. I'm honestly in disbelief that this can happen in this day and age. Very few private landlords would want to risk or even be allowed to risk renting their properties to just released ex-offenders. But something needs to be done about this.

Archived