If you went to Hunter’s Bar Council School 1935-38 …

peterw

If you went to Hunter’s Bar Council School between 1935-41 you’re more than likely an old schoolmate and I’d like to hear from you. And if you happen to know any of the following I’d be equally glad to hear what happened to them.

There was Eric and Edgar Wallace who lived on Sharrow Vale Road, Pat Bray who lived I think on Dover Road, and his parents had Brays Florists in the city centre. Gordon Saul was lived on Cemetery Road, two lads from Fulwood Cottage Homes whose names I don’t remember, the Robinson twins, the Acaster twins, Michael Mower whose father was head cashier at the Sheffield Star, a lad called Eric? Hobson whose father was musical director at the Empire Theatre, Man Gee Wong whose parents had Wong’s Chinese Laundry on Ecclesall Road, Raymond Neill who lived on Neill Road, Peter Hogg whose father had a butchers shop on Sharrow Vale Road and a host of others whose names, alas, are a distant memory.

Teachers included Mr Hodgkinson, Mr Cooper, and the head, Thomas Bingham, who I believe died in his 90s. In the infants the head was a Miss Glossop who later became head of a school at Shiregreen.

Among the girls was Betty Rutter, Patricia Taylor who was a dancer (her father was at departmental manager at Sheffield and Ecclesall Co-op) and Audrey Rimmington.

• 2 weeks later...

i understand that both my parents went to Hunter's Bar School but before the years you mention. However, you mention the Chinese Laundrey. My mother used to tell me how she and her sisters were frightened to collect my grandfather's collars from this laundrey because the men wore pigtails. Hav eyou any more information on the laundry please?

I can only tell you that they were the best, and most hard-working launderers of their time. They did a great job! I’ve posted a lookout for their son, Man Gee Wong, who was a classmate. Alas, can’t get any information.

I may (or may not) know your one or both of your parents because they must have lived in that area, as I did. I’m interested in finding out what happened to all my schoolmates because I seem to be the only one left!

If you’d like to PM me with yoour father’s name and your mother’s maiden name, like I said I may know them. I was in the Infants and then transferred to the Juniors before going to High Storrs Grammar, and I lived at the Bottom Snuff Mill (Wilsons) where my parents were caretakers. A great, rambling house which is now a listed building — thank goodness.

Archived