What's wrong with learning the 12 times table ?

Call me old-fashioned but what is wrong with schoolchildren having to learn the 12 times table ? It doesn't stop them expressing their precious personalities in the next drama class or sports lesson ...

Rote learning is frowned upon , but surely it has a place if children are to learn according to a commonsense variety of techniques ? Rote learning serves to create internal discipline , as opposed to ....... what exactly ?

Call me old-fashioned but what is wrong with schoolchildren having to learn the 12 times table ? It doesn't stop them expressing their precious personalities in the next drama class or sports lesson ...

Rote learning is frowned upon , but surely it has a place if children are to learn according to a commonsense variety of techniques ? Rote learning serves to create internal discipline , as opposed to ....... what exactly ?

Who is frowning upon Rote learning, in itself?

Which kids aren't learning the 12 times table?

You lost me at Call....

Nothing wrong with it per se, but now we use a decimal system based on multiples of 10, so it isn't as important as it used to be.

When I was at school there were 12 pennies in a shilling so it was useful, (and in my opinion still is for calculating in 'dozens' etc but does anyone still sell by the dozen?) We also had to learn 13 and 14x tables - all that was good for was exercising the brain!

As for rote learning - well you have my support on that one, tho' don't kid yourself that it doesn't go on, it's just dressed up a bit more in songs and rythmns. And other methods are used as well, not instead of.

Different kids learn in different ways. Teachers try to hit all the boxes by using different methods to reach every kid. It doesn't always work, but then it never did.

Because the thick kids can't do such difficult sums and in today's nampy-pamby education system you're not supposed to highlight underachievement in a negative way. Every child must be lead to believe they can be top-flight neurosurgeons.

Because the thick kids can't do such difficult sums and in today's nampy-pamby education system you're not supposed to highlight underachievement in a negative way. Every child must be lead....

In that case I shall not be namby-pamby and I will highlight your underachievements in a negative way. Namby-pamby, lad. Are you thick? And the simple past tense of the verb to lead is led. Led, lad. Led. You've had too much namby-pamby education you have, lad? God help us if there's a war.

Because the thick kids can't do such difficult sums and in today's nampy-pamby education system you're not supposed to highlight underachievement in a negative way. Every child must be lead to believe they can be top-flight neurosurgeons.

Ahem

What we need are more creative ways of encouraging our youngsters to exercise their mathematical abilities.

:idea: For example in schools, why not replace the teaching of our national sport (which on a global scale we are useless at anyway) with the teachings of Mr Eric Bristow? This would immediately see an increase in the number of kiddywinks able to perform simple mental arithmetic calculations up to and including 180.

Oche, I agree that in some schools it might not be a good idea to allow every reprobate free access to pointy missiles, but I think in principle the idea is a gud un...

... what do you lot think? :)

Archived