What's wrong with learning the 12 times table ?

Nothing wrong with it per se, but now we use a decimal system based on multiples of 10, so it isn't as important as it used to be.

When I was at school there were 12 pennies in a shilling so it was useful, (and in my opinion still is for calculating in 'dozens' etc but does anyone still sell by the dozen?) We also had to learn 13 and 14x tables - all that was good for was exercising the brain!

As for rote learning - well you have my support on that one, tho' don't kid yourself that it doesn't go on, it's just dressed up a bit more in songs and rythmns. And other methods are used as well, not instead of.

Different kids learn in different ways. Teachers try to hit all the boxes by using different methods to reach every kid. It doesn't always work, but then it never did.

They did last time I bought some eggs!....But then again...I'm very unlikely to buy more than a dozen at a time!...hahaha

Archived