Thatcher books.. Don't you wish you had one?

Just an interesting asside to the download saga. It appears a better investment was to buy one of her books and get her to sign it at a political rally.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/blog/index.php/2013/04/09/strong-demand-for-collectable-margaret-thatcher-books/

The announcement of Margaret Thatcher’s death at the age of 87 has sparked a flurry of sales. Yesterday, AbeBooks sold 21 books associated with the former prime minister priced £100 or more.

Collectors interested in her writing will veer towards her signed books, which are plentiful at the moment. The former Conservative leader signed a good number of books on her speaking tours during her retirement.

Her books include an Easton Press edition of Statecraft, published in 2002, bound in dark blue leather. She published her autobiography in 1993, three years after leaving No.10, and there are numerous signed copies of The Downing Street Years on the rare book market. There is also a book called The Collected Speeches of Margaret Thatcher with editions from HarperCollins and Easton Press.

The most expensive sale yesterday was a signed set of these three books for £850.

Another book written by Mrs Thatcher is The Path to Power, published in 1995.

There have been numerous biographies written about the Iron Lady and I expect there will be to come later this year. The Daily Telegraph lists the 10 best books about Mrs Thatch – you will probably want to go for the Alan Clark Diaries or Things Can Only Get Better by John O’Farrell if you are looking for opposing opinions. Today in The Guardian you will find an essay written about her by author Ian McEwan, who published a number of books under her rule.

It seems books about her are being snapped off the shelves and others rushed into print.

the best one was the first big one, by Hugo Young. Now fewer people are around, be they reporters or colleagues or opponents or whatever, that actually worked with her day in and day out. So it will start getting more historical. Don't know why you have included John O'Farrells book, funny though it was. He didn't know her at all. Even Peter Mandelson, was on the radio this morning, saying he didn't know her. He only met her himself, in passing once for only a minute. There was never a time when they were in the same room in a social setting, even Parliament. Mandelson didn't become an MP, until after she'd gone.

I have a brilliant Thatcher book. Written by Alan Watkins. A blinding account of the backstabbing that went on to get rid of St Margaret of Perpetual Succour.

Most of the backstabbers have been weeping crocodile tears for the last week, whilst raising their own media profiles.

Alan Watkins family paid for his own funeral.

yeah I read that one, though I don't have it. He got it out quickly after the Tory party knifing fest that killed her - she has of course been this husk around London for the last 22 years and that is when she really died, in November 1990, not Monday last week. As I recall, it's quite old-fashioned in the text. He prefixes the names of all the assassins with 'Mr', like 'Mr Michael Heseltine', and 'Mr Kenneth Clarke'.

That's the one. His Observer column was written in the same style. He was a proper, old school, political journalist. That's what makes the book so good for me.

As for your other point. I agree 100%. I was so very glad to see the back of her in 1990, that''s when she died politically. All of the posturing from both sides in the last 10 days, leaves a rather nasty taste in my mouth.

I got a copy of 'One of Us' by Hugo Young, a biography of the witch written just after her own party got rid of her.

---------- Post added 17-04-2013 at 23:21 ----------

the best one was the first big one, by Hugo Young. Now fewer people are around, be they reporters or colleagues or opponents or whatever, that actually worked with her day in and day out. So it will start getting more historical. Don't know why you have included John O'Farrells book, funny though it was. He didn't know her at all. Even Peter Mandelson, was on the radio this morning, saying he didn't know her. He only met her himself, in passing once for only a minute. There was never a time when they were in the same room in a social setting, even Parliament. Mandelson didn't become an MP, until after she'd gone.

Just had a look on e-bay, you can buy a brand new copy for ...............£1.45!!!

I have one signed copy by Mrs Thatcher, still with the Waterstones white wrapper round it - I think it's 'The Downing Street Years' and about five others of the same title but unsigned - all first editions

Get them on ebay.

Before the backlash starts:D

I

Just had a look on e-bay, you can buy a brand new copy for ...............£1.45!!!

well that's bargain. I certainly paid a lot more than that for mine. Remember Thatcher herself, would have definitely read that particular volume. The author was not a Tory supporter. And yet the account is not unsympathetic.

I have one signed copy by Mrs Thatcher, still with the Waterstones white wrapper round it - I think it's 'The Downing Street Years' and about five others of the same title but unsigned - all first editions

Is this for when you run out of Izal ?

Archived