The Fall of Tesco

I think its their shops. They have stuck to the same design plan for too long. They need to refresh them. Do things like Morrisons do with the damp air jets over the veg etc.

although I dont think that £1.96bn in profit is all that bad. They could well be investing lots and this would not show up in these figures.

Its nothing to do with their shops design, I dont think anyones too bothered about that its the bloody prices, shockingly expensive. Everyone I know has gone away from the big supermarket shop and use places like Aldi and local shops, not as convenient but a damn sight cheaper. As someone also said the rewards scheme used to be quite good but since they've revamped it its a waste of time.

Its nothing to do with their shops design, I dont think anyones too bothered about that its the bloody prices, shockingly expensive. Everyone I know has gone away from the big supermarket shop and use places like Aldi and local shops, not as convenient but a damn sight cheaper. As someone also said the rewards scheme used to be quite good but since they've revamped it its a waste of time.

Doesn't Tesco do the at check out price comparison and if you would have spent less at the other stores they give you a voucher for the difference off your next shop. I would have thought this made them just as cheap as any of their competitors (on the branded products).

I prefer the range of better quality / more interesting foods at Tesco.

ASDA / Morrisons seem to cater for the convenience food and value set more.

Tesco fruit and veg dept is poor though. Very often the stuff is inedible well before its use by date. Many times I've bought their green beans and you can tie knots in them, and the sweet peppers on display are often wrinkly and soggy.

I've seen no evidence that they knew it was happening; it's just that they never bothered to check and or test the quality and provenance of the products we throw in our shopping trollies.

do you test every product you buy? you know, highest and lowest operating temperature, fastest speed etc?

Do things like Morrisons do with the damp air jets over the veg etc.

I love this new display at Morrisons. Only reason I go there sometimes. I dont think their average customer is too interested in the new range of exotic vegetables and spices etc though and suspect a lot goes to waste.

do you test every product you buy? you know, highest and lowest operating temperature, fastest speed etc?

I'll usually avoid products from the lowest bidder, because I know corners will have been cut in terms of quality and safety.

Shame our supermarkets couldn't do that :roll:

I'll usually avoid products from the lowest bidder, because I know corners will have been cut in terms of quality and safety.

Shame our supermarkets couldn't do that :roll:

It wasn't just in supermarket's own brand though..Bird's Eye,Findus,Nestle etc.etc. were caught out too...if meat suppliers have ben fiddling then the producers have been conned like everyone else..

Do things like Morrisons do with the damp air jets over the veg etc.
I love this new display at Morrisons. Only reason I go there sometimes.
Not a new technique: this has been used (still is) by Le Grand Frais grocery stores in France for years (since 2006 at least, maybe earlier).

Good that UK grocery stores are getting with the times, though: keeps the veg fresher for longer, so reduces the stock (and waste) turnover ;)

It wasn't just in supermarket's own brand though..Bird's Eye,Findus,Nestle etc.etc. were caught out too...if meat suppliers have ben fiddling then the producers have been conned like everyone else..

Isn't it the responsibility of these suppliers and producers to check the quality of the products they're sticking their brand name on?

Archived