The Fall of Tesco

Not a new technique: this has been used (still is) by Le Grand Frais grocery stores in France for years (since 2006 at least, maybe earlier).

I've seen a similar system in Carrefour in Cluses in Haut-Savoie and that must have been in the late 1990's when I was last skiing near there. Strangly though I've never seen it anywhere else in any other Carrefour which was a bit odd, maybe it was a trial install that they had.

Isn't it the responsibility of these suppliers and producers to check the quality of the products they're sticking their brand name on?

I assume all the checking is done via paperwork...if someone is fiddling that then that's where it falls apart...how can the food producers (not meat suppliers) check every ounce of every batch of beef they buy..?There was trust in the system and obviously some people have decided to fiddle it..

I'll usually avoid products from the lowest bidder, because I know corners will have been cut in terms of quality and safety.

Shame our supermarkets couldn't do that :roll:

do you think the parts that are used to create your products are not from the lowest bidder in that case?

I assume all the checking is done via paperwork...if someone is fiddling that then that's where it falls apart...how can the food producers (not meat suppliers) check every ounce of every batch of beef they buy..?There was trust in the system and obviously some people have decided to fiddle it..

But sadly, it seems those quality checks were not worth the paper they were written on.

Have you seen the route across Europe that the meat took, all the while it was being passed from lowest-cost bidder to the other?

The paper trail goes to France, to Luxembourg, back to France, to Cyprus, to Holland, to Romania...

I don't expect the manufacturers to check every sample of meat that comes their way, but surely they should have been performing SOME random checks from time to time?

---------- Post added 18-04-2013 at 13:56 ----------

do you think the parts that are used to create your products are not from the lowest bidder in that case?

Hell No, I don't shop at Tesco.

Hey, that one even rhymes.

But sadly, it seems those quality checks were not worth the paper they were written on.

Have you seen the route across Europe that the meat took, all the while it was being passed from lowest-cost bidder to the other?

The paper trail goes to France, to Luxembourg, back to France, to Cyprus, to Holland, to Romania...

I don't expect the manufacturers to check every sample of meat that comes their way, but surely they should have been performing SOME random checks from time to time?

Maybe they did,that's the problem with random checks..stuff still gets through

Don't you think the FSA shares some responsibilty?

Hell No, I don't shop at Tesco.

Hey, that one even rhymes.

So you're naive then and tell me, why does the person or company that has been defrauded in your opinion take the blame? If I defrauded you, should the blame lay with me or you?

Maybe they did,that's the problem with random checks..stuff still gets through

Don't you think the FSA shares some responsibilty?

That's a good question.

I've little doubt the FSA were sloooooow off the mark (Ireland's FSA discovered horse DNA in beef products in early December 2012, but didn't notify the UK FSA until over a month later).

But shouldn't the producers, suppliers and retailers also do their own regular testing, instead of leaving it to the government?

I'd expect them to retest every time they switch supplier, or producer, or any source along the chain.

That's a good question.

I've little doubt the FSA were sloooooow off the mark (Ireland's FSA discovered horse DNA in beef products in early December 2012, but didn't notify the UK FSA until over a month later).

But shouldn't the producers, suppliers and retailers also do their own regular testing, instead of leaving it to the government?

I'd expect them to retest every time they switch supplier, or producer, or any source along the chain.

Test for what?

Test for what?

The ingredients!

I'd have expected them to check that a product said to be 100% beef is in fact 100% beef.

---------- Post added 18-04-2013 at 14:17 ----------

But then you have to stand in the checkout queue with ASDA customers.

Shop at the Handsworth Asda instead then.

It has the best looking customers in Sheffield :love: (and beats Meadowhall into second place)

Archived