Cutlery industry. Why no outcry like coal and steel industry.

People are very passionate about Margaret Thatcher and the coal and steel industry losses.

Why isn't there the same passion about the cutlery industry which was very important to Sheffield and has virtually disappeared ?

Didn't they make the cutlery with the steel?

People are very passionate about Margaret Thatcher and the coal and steel industry losses.

Why isn't there the same passion about the cutlery industry which was very important to Sheffield and has virtually disappeared ?

Some Sheffield cutlery manufactures used to import inferior cutlery from the middle east and China they then marked it made in Sheffield .

Viners were the biggest culprits ,whether this practice still goes on I don't know but I have some in my drawer and it is rubbish.

Some Sheffield cutlery manufactures used to import inferior cutlery from the middle east and China they then marked it made in Sheffield .

Viners were the biggest culprits ,whether this practice still goes on I don't know but I have some in my drawer and it is rubbish.

It certainly does still go on, David Mellor cutlery blanks are imported from Germany (i think), people assume that because they are stamped David Mellor that they are a 100% Sheffield product, which they are not.

It triggered strikes in the same way. The attack on shipbuilding did so too.

Essentially, the Thatcher Government decimated so many industries, you eventually lose track.

It certainly does still go on, David Mellor cutlery blanks are imported from Germany (i think), people assume that because they are stamped David Mellor that they are a 100% Sheffield product, which they are not.

Are you 100% sure???

Which blanks are imported???

My cutlery from there (http://www.davidmellordesign.com/acatalog/David_Mellor_Minimal_Cutlery.html) was made there for defo.

Archived