Cyclists - red lights apply to you too..

The

Lesson there is don't cycle up the inside of large vehicles it's hard enough driving these and there are blind spots!

---------- Post added 19-04-2013 at 09:10 ----------

I think you will find these new flashing super bright lights that some cyclists fit are far in excess of what is legal and is soon to be challenged in court I read somewhere .

I read somewhere that artics' and the like are being fitted with mirrors that are designed to make spotting cyclists a whole lot easier so hopefully the accident rate will drop drastically. As for the lights, it's a pity that a minority of motorists aren't as considerate when they keep their lights on high beam even though cyclists and pedestrians moving towards them are struggling to see.

You're not all saints yet it appears that the only people allowed to use roads these days are the ones surrounded by a few thousand pounds of metal.

Some lights are pressure triggered, and cyclists aren't heavy enough to trigger them. You can usually tell which ones they are by the tar lines at the stop line. It'd be helpful if they had signs on them though, letting all road users approaching from all directions that cyclists are exempt

Most of the sensors do in fact detect bikes (although I understand that people with fancy bikes with less metallic content have trouble with them more often). IME, Sheffield Council is pretty good about accepting that failure to detect bikes is a fault & adjusting the sensors, if you report it (use fixmystreet.com).

The Highway Code does provide for vehicle users (drivers & cyclists) to proceed cautiously through faulty red lights, but that doesn't cover going through because you can't be bothered to wait.

---------- Post added 19-04-2013 at 10:12 ----------

all cyclist are doing is putting a great big 2 fingers up to all of us that pay to use the roads:roll:

Bzzt! Wrong answer: there is no such thing as "road tax". And note that many car users aren't paying VED either (look up "band A VED").

---------- Post added 19-04-2013 at 10:13 ----------

i very much do pay road tax.

Bzzzt! Wrong answer.

---------- Post added 19-04-2013 at 10:13 ----------

most of them dont own cars and vans because they are anti cars.

83% of cyclists own motor vehicles; 82% of non-cyclists do.

---------- Post added 19-04-2013 at 10:14 ----------

i have seen many bikeist pulling wing mirrors of and riding on silly roads when the pavement is clear.

Huh? You want people cycling on the pavement?

I think so! Were you that fat lass that stepped into the road before the green man came on? Why do you view yourself exempt from the rules of crossing the road?

Well that comment really sums you up doesnt it?

So answer the question earlier asked, why do YOU think you are exempt from the rules of the road, just because you are on a bike?

I think so! Were you that fat lass that stepped into the road before the green man came on? Why do you view yourself exempt from the rules of crossing the road?

A pedestrian can cross the road at any time, there are no rules against it (unless it is a specifically pedestrian-restricted highway with the correct signage). The green man and red traffic light are there to help with this, that's all.

A pedestrian can cross the road at any time, there are no rules against it (unless it is a specifically pedestrian-restricted highway with the correct signage). The green man and red traffic light are there to help with this, that's all.

Rightly so. IMO pedestrians should be regarded as the first-class road users.

I know you are making this up...

Archived