Friendliness of checkout staff

I don't really care how chatty they are, what I would rather is that they exercised a modicum of common sense; made sure there are sufficient bags available, when possible that they are opened ready for use and time their scanning to roughly keep pace with my packing - if I have to stop packing to open a bag/double bag heavy items then a pause would be nice.

I don't really care how chatty they are, what I would rather is that they exercised a modicum of common sense; made sure there are sufficient bags available, when possible that they are opened ready for use and time their scanning to roughly keep pace with my packing - if I have to stop packing to open a bag/double bag heavy items then a pause would be nice.

I'm with you. Efficiency and awareness are important, and I find a pleasant 'do you want help with your packing?' doesn't hurt either. I'm not impressed when someone is scanning my goods, and chatting to someone else.

Definitely. I work part time in a shop and I'll not say where but if more customers were like you my life would be a whole lot easier. I only ever partake in pleasantries if it is initiated by the other party.

"Yeah aight cheers mate see you later" is about the most anybody will ever get from me.

And whilst we're on the subject, if a member of staff asks you if you want a store card, rest assured we do not want to ask you but we're literally forced into it. I try to make it sound ironically robotic so the customer knows the score.

It's a bit much when people expect you to stroke their ego as well as serve them isn't it? Why do customers want excessive jollity, deference and fake delight? What's wrong with the basics? I can't be doing with the 'sir' business either, it makes my stomach clench.

I blame the people who come back from holidays in the U.S and say "oh, the service is wonderful over there, it should be like that here" It isn't and it should not. It's horrific and sinister. Shop assistants don't behave like that unless there's a psychological whip at their back.

---------- Post added 19-04-2013 at 00:15 ----------

And yet that's exactly what I want. It's good procedure for head office to demand their staff act in that way, after all, without my business, they have no job. They would do well to remember that, even if they see me off duty away from the supermarket. A business is only as good as its worst member of staff. Not that I ever go to the supermarket, perish the thought but I often ask Nanny how she was treated when she does our family shop.

Well I prefer it when the assistant makes me wait for half an hour before acknowledging my presence and glowers at me with open hatred whilst bagging my purchases. Then, I like them to hold out my change and tip it on the floor just as I'm about to take it. When I bend to pick it up, they should kick me in the face, grab me by the belt and hoist me violently through the door and onto the pavement screaming "if I ever see you in here again, you're a dead man!".

It keeps me grounded.

They can keep their plastic bags!

We have to pay for them here.

A simple hello, do you need any help packing is sufficient.

I hate it when it's obvious the assistant knows the person in front personally and has a lengthy conversation with them.

I'm usually quite rude when it happens, and point out in no uncertain terms that I will will only wait so long in a que.

I've been known to walk out leaving all my shopping on the escalator thingy.

I am so glad i popped the original question, as most of you seem to think the same as me. I work on a checkout (I won't say where) and I am pleasant and helpful, give the customers a smile and offer to pack the bags, but I don't go over the top. I just can't bring myself to say "enjoy the rest of the day" or words to the effect. Some of my colleagues do just that, and I wondered If that's what the customers really wanted. I will sometimes comment on something they have bought, saying it looks nice, or maybe a garment is a nice colour, or maybe ask if its still raining or something like that, but that's about it.

Thank you all.

Yep, agree with all of the above.

I remember when I were a lad... actually, only a few years ago in fact when the supermarkets would leave the bags next to the customer who could take as many as they needed.

Now, supermarkets keep the bags behind the counter and you have to keep asking the checkout assistant for some more. It is annoying when I've got a trolly full of goods and I've only got my rucksack with me...

And they they ask: "Would you like a bag?"

"No thanks" I reply "I'll just juggle my purchases down the high street to my car"

Trying to open those flimsy bags when you're in a hurry is an art - sometimes the checkout staff could be doing that when they're not busy

I always have difficulty with that in every supermarket I go into.

I don't know if all that static electricity that my body generates causes the bags to seal themselves shut

(it's my electric personality, cressida :heyhey: )

Archived