Bedside lamp - is this for real??

Can't believe it! Bought two cheap bedside lamps this week from supermarket. Accompanying instruction leaflet was 20 pages long,(although 3 pages were blank) and included diagrams showing how to put in and take out light bulbs and how to 'assemble the product'! Important instructions included: decide on the appropriate location for your product!

It reminded me of the time when we bought a car where the driver's seat could turn through 180 degrees - an instruction on the seat warned us not to drive with the seat in this position!!!

Did it have a switch on it?

I was looking at a cheap bedside lamp the other day. Nearly bought it until I realised there was no switch.

The whole idea is to turn off the lamp without getting out of bed.:huh:

Bought a child's car seat last year and in the instructions there was an overhead drawing of a car to display the seats where you can and the seat where you shouldn't use the chair. Guess which was the only seat with a red cross? Yep, the drivers seat. The entire purpose of the illustration was to show that you shouldn't use the baby's chair in the driver's seat.

I often wonder if there's a story behind some of these dumb instructions.

Bought a child's car seat last year and in the instructions there was an overhead drawing of a car to display the seats where you can and the seat where you shouldn't use the chair. Guess which was the only seat with a red cross? Yep, the drivers seat. The entire purpose of the illustration was to show that you shouldn't use the baby's chair in the driver's seat.

I often wonder if there's a story behind some of these dumb instructions.

There is. Generally the general public are morons and would try to fit/use things in locations where they shouldn't and then sue the manufacturer when it all went wrong.

So to cover their backs legally they produce these anti-moron instructions.

For the same reason when you buy a hot drink, the cup says "Caution: Hot" on it.

Did it have a switch on it?

I was looking at a cheap bedside lamp the other day. Nearly bought it until I realised there was no switch.

The whole idea is to turn off the lamp without getting out of bed.:huh:

Was this a "Touch" lamp, where just touching the base turns it on and off, these don't have "Switches" on them.

I can't think of a specific example, but I've heard of ... for example bars of nut brittle being labelled as "May contain nuts"....or something akin.

---------- Post added 18-04-2013 at 10:47 ----------

Talk of the devil eh?...I've just received a container of e-liquid (the stuff you put into electronic cigarettes containing nicotine etc), and the label on that says:

Contains nicotine. Toxic if swallowed. Very toxic in contact with skin. Keep locked up and out of reach of children. In case of accident or if you feel unwell seek medical advice immediately and show this label. May contain traces of nuts.

I can't think of a specific example, but I've heard of ... for example bars of nut brittle being labelled as "May contain nuts"....or something akin.

---------- Post added 18-04-2013 at 10:47 ----------

Talk of the devil eh?...I've just received a container of e-liquid (the stuff you put into electronic cigarettes containing nicotine etc), and the label on that says:

:hihi::hihi:

No warning about cancer then?:D

Manufacturers don't like to spunk money up the wall for no reason, usually when instructions are 20 pages long, it's in 20 different languages which of course would be cheaper than printing a booklet for each language.

And the car seat one, it's just the world we live in today. It's the same reason I have to spend 2 hours of my life every year in training at work on how to lift a box. It's cheaper to do that then get sued.

Archived