Brighton Council may introduce 'shooting galleries' for addicts.

Surely the police would be able to enter these premises and arrest the drug users for possession of illegal substances.

Those councillors who condone such places are also accessories o a crime being committed or a conspiracy to commit crimes.

If we go down the road of condoning open illegality the whole justice system becomes a mockery.

A final thought is that tobacco is considered to be one of the most addictive drugs and many people manage to stop smoking why can't heroin, cocaine and marijuana addicts do the same ?

Look at what happened with "Hamsterdam" in "the Wire". The place turned into an absolute hell within weeks.

Sorry isn't that a fictional TV show????

Have you actually just tried to use an example of something that never happened to show why this scheme will fail in the real world?

I would guess that the people who say it's been a success are the ones that were in favour of it beforehand. I would like to ask local residents and business owners what they think of having a "shooting gallery" in their vicinity.

I'd be in favour of one near me. In many places you sometimes see needles on the floor. People use derelict buildings, etc.

Much better to have a place for safe use and to reduce litter.

It doesn't have to be in the middle of a residential neighbourhood, in the middle of the high street or beside a school.

• 5 weeks later...
It's been a success in Vancouver, Canada

And in Copenhagen, although it's early days.

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 11:43 ----------

A final thought is that tobacco is considered to be one of the most addictive drugs and many people manage to stop smoking why can't heroin, cocaine and marijuana addicts do the same ?

Not one of the most addictive, one of the hardest to give up because of the ubiquity of supply and social acceptance of it.

I'd rather be addicted to nicotine than heroin. Nicotine withdrawal is short, and mildly irritatating. Heroin withdrawal involves significant pain. Also more powerful stimulants and analgesics will cause the user to rationalise unacceptable behaviour to a much greater degree than can be achieved with drugs that don't cosh or tweak the parasympathetic nervous system as much as heroin, cocaine, diazepines, amphetamines etc.

If I had my way, I’d open a different type of “Shooting Gallery” to accommodate the vermin.

My nephew is a "druggie" heroin, been on it for years. I suppose its his fault, it was his own choice.

It's not quite as simple as that. As came to light later on in his life. He was repeatedly abused and raped by a "family friend" when he was a young boy, it started when he was about eight years old I think.

Later on in his life he came home from school, when he was about thirteen and found his father had hanged himself.

Behind most of these drinkers and drug takers there is a personal tragedy. Next time you feel like shooting one, do it, it would not doubt end a pitiful pain filled life and they'd be glad.

My nephew is a "druggie" heroin, been on it for years. I suppose its his fault, it was his own choice.

It's not quite as simple as that. As came to light later on in his life. He was repeatedly abused and raped by a "family friend" when he was a young boy, it started when he was about eight years old I think.

Later on in his life he came home from school, when he was about thirteen and found his father had hanged himself.

Behind most of these drinkers and drug takers there is a personal tragedy. Next time you feel like shooting one, do it, it would not doubt end a pitiful pain filled life and they'd be glad.

and while we're at it, let's nuke Africa and get rid of all their suffering. Let's burn every slum and war torn corner of the Earth until there's nothing left but clensed, 'clean' minds.

Shall we start with your nephew?

Archived