Atheism & Religious Beliefs

Well, I am not religious and do not really call myself an Atheist either, I have no religious beliefs what so ever.

Once you label yourself with tags or brands then you are finished.

I truly believe that once you probe religious people and get down to the nuts and bolts of things, they will say there really is no gods but there beliefs are attached to the notions of not wanting to live a life without meaning and a lack of control, hence the religion notions are something their week minds have latched on to, to compensate truly creative independent free thinking.

I do not have anything against people who go to churches and bow to stained glass and wooden crosses.

Even the Pope's waves encased in a bullet proof vehicle shower stunning scenes of followers from far and wide.

Well, I am not religious and do not really call myself an Atheist either, I have no religious beliefs what so ever.

I truly believe that once you probe religious people and get down to the nuts and bolts of things, they will say there really is no gods but there beliefs are attached to the notions of not wanting to live a life without meaning and a lack of control, hence the religion notions are something their week minds have latched on to.

Finished in what way ?

Well, I am not religious and do not really call myself an Atheist either, I have no religious beliefs what so ever[/Quote]

It's irrelevant what you call yourself, if you don't believe in God(s) you're an atheist, it's irrelevant whether you snuggle up to the term with a cup of cocoa at night or not.

Once you label yourself with tags or brands then you are finished[/Quote]

How so, they are there to fulfil a purpose, like all language. The difficulty comes when you read more into the label than is there, it's like saying you're favourite colour is red because you like the sound of the word rather than because you have any particular fondness of the colour.

I truly believe that once you probe religious people and get down to the nuts and bolts of things, they will say there really is no gods[/Quote]

I'm religious and don't believe in God

but there beliefs are attached to the notions of not wanting to live a life without meaning and a lack of control, hence the religion notions are something their week minds have latched on to, to compensate truly creative independent free thinking[/Quote]

All I can to say to that is that you can't have met many religious people. It's frankly insulting and boring .

If you want a 'battle' of free thinking and philosophy I'll take anyone on at any time - the very fact that you think labels are in some way restraining shows you have already limited yourself because you can't see them for what they are. If you want to communicate the rest of your forum life without using language feel free, but limiting yourself by abandoning labels intended for communication is not free thinking - recognising the label is not the object is one thing (and a very important step for anyone to acknowledge) but abandoning the label altogether shows a much larger attachment to the label than using it correctly does.

I do not have anything against people who go to churches and bow to stained glass and wooden crosses[/Quote]

Other than thinking they have weak minds you mean?

Even the Pope's waves encased in a bullet proof vehicle shower stunning scenes of followers from far and wide.

I don't really know what you mean! What does that have to do with atheism and religion?

I truly believe that once you probe religious people and get down to the nuts and bolts of things, they will say there really is no gods but there beliefs are attached to the notions of not wanting to live a life without meaning and a lack of control, hence the religion notions are something their week minds have latched on to, to compensate truly creative independent free thinking.

I do not have anything against people who go to churches and bow to stained glass and wooden crosses.

On another thread you describe yourself as an Owl.I assume this is in the context of football rather than the bird.So you are finished.Oh dear.

On another thread you describe yourself as an Owl.I assume this is in the context of football rather than the bird.So you are finished.Oh dear.

I think the OP thought he was being thought provoking and eloquent..:hihi::hihi:

When you label yourself, there is a tendency to self-identify as <whatever> and a living up to that ideal. I think that is disingenuous and inauthentic. What you are is an individual, who entertains various perspectives on a variety of topics, though your life-span. Those perspectives change with time, but what you are, is deeper and more essential than the ideas you entertain.

Don't let me stop you though, go for it, knock ya self out! :P

Well I have no problem with labels,not sure how you're supposed to describe anything to anyone without them.

I'm an Agnostic & until the religious can prove there is a God, or the atheist's can prove there isn't, I intend to remain one.

When you label yourself, there is a tendency to self-identify as <whatever> and a living up to that ideal. I think that is disingenuous and inauthentic. What you are is an individual, who entertains various perspectives on a variety of topics, though your life-span. Those perspectives change with time, but what you are, is deeper and more essential than the ideas you entertain.

Don't let me stop you though, go for it, knock ya self out! :P

How can you self identify as someone who has a lack of belief in something?

Or in other words, how does a baby who is without self identity self identify as being an atheist?

I do agree with the direction of your point though.

mjw47

I think you've confused atheist with anti theist, and not even all anti theists say there is definately no God, only that it is likely, given the evidence, that there is no God.

Archived