Atheism & Religious Beliefs

Please reread my post at 61 above. In particular, please take note of my comments regarding what a bundle of laughs it must be to find yourself

in the company of someone who dissects every word spoken in order to find a meaning which differs from the one which was obviously intended.

Then after you have done that, reread your own post above & have an attempt at imagining precisely what I thought of it.

And there's more of you getting personal there old chap.

---------- Post added 19-04-2013 at 14:13 ----------

No, I neither believe nor disbelieve in Gods. Because you, apparently, are unable to handle that concept does not mean that others are also unable to do so.

That's fine. But if you are going to take that position then it's a good idea to actually use the correct words to describe that position... that's what people are rightly worreid about.

Hardly. You were I'm afraid the one that took umbrage first, at a perfectly reasonable comment. Now if you really are going to carry on and look foolish please, feel free, but it would be nice if addressed the substantive ideas that I and others have raised, rather than descend to name calling.

And there's more of you getting personal there old chap.

---------- Post added 19-04-2013 at 14:13 ----------

That's fine. But if you are going to take that position then it's a good idea to actually use the correct words to describe that position... that's what people are rightly worreid about.

I had not realized that I had strayed into the preserve of the debating society of Oxford University Religious Philosophy department.

I am beginning to wonder how I managed to get through life & make a reasonable living without apparently being able to communicate my thoughts to people without them having to consult a thesaurus in order to clarify my meaning.

And please don't worry about me, I'm sure the power of cogent speech will return to me if given time. :)

---------- Post added 19-04-2013 at 14:33 ----------

Hardly. You were I'm afraid the one that took umbrage first, at a perfectly reasonable comment. Now if you really are going to carry on and look foolish please, feel free, but it would be nice if addressed the substantive ideas that I and others have raised, rather than descend to name calling.

In what way was your comment 'perfectly reasonable'. you replied to one of my posts & used the word mediocrity. In what way could that possibly be interpreted other than a sly dig? Or do you have a habit of randomly replying to posts & dropping in various meaningless terms as & when you feel like it?

I had not realized that I had strayed into the preserve of the debating society of Oxford University Religious Philosophy department.

I am beginning to wonder how I managed to get through life & make a reasonable living without apparently being able to communicate my thoughts to people without them having to consult a thesaurus in order to clarify my meaning.

And please don't worry about me, I'm sure the power of cogent speech will return to me if given time. :)

---------- Post added 19-04-2013 at 14:33 ----------

In what way was your comment 'perfectly reasonable'. you replied to one of my posts & used the word mediocrity. In what way could that possibly be interpreted other than a sly dig? Or do you have a habit of randomly replying to posts & dropping in various meaningless terms as & when you feel like it?

You've just replied to one of my posts using that bad word. Are you going to castigate yourself?

I'm sorry but you appear to be generating synthetic anger and faux outrage to bolster your position. If that's so then shame on you.

You've just replied to one of my posts using that bad word. Are you going to castigate yourself?

I'm sorry but you appear to be generating synthetic anger and faux outrage to bolster your position. If that's so then shame on you.

OK you've lost me now. What are you on about? what bad word? what anger? Please explain & try to use straightforward language as you would if addressing a perfectly normal average person who did not swallow a dictionary.

I'm sure you can manage it if you try hard.

Really? your on a wind up aren't you?

RootsBooster. I don't know if you are being deliberately obtuse here... you are beginning to bore me excreta less with your interminable explanations of things I do not want explaining.

Keep posting by all means, you obviously find yourself interesting, & that's a good thing if it keeps you from annoying other innocent people, I shall look upon it as my good deed for the day.

Feel free to continue, I shall feel free to ignore where appropriate.

And what none of you appear able to grasp, is that I have no interest in being 'educated' about a subject which is complete & utter tripe. As I keep trying to get across to the seemingly terminal obtuse, if there is no way of knowing, then the exercise is mind numbingly pointless.

Deep philosophical waters :P get a grip man.

... you & the rest of the massed ranks of the theological pedants ...

That sentiment does not apply where smartarses are concerned however, & I have no problem arguing the point with them at all....

...But no, someone saw the opportunity to show what an intellectual powerhouse they were in the field of theological semantics.

How the hell do any of you manage a conversation with normal people down the pub?

Whenever anyone makes a point about anything, do you immediately interrupt & point out that there are, in fact, many differing viewpoints with reference to the term used in the description of the head on that pint of beer?

Presumably you then proceed to reference Descartes & his views on the meaning of sentience.

Must be a laugh a minute being in your company of an evening.

You can not be that obtuse. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt & assume that you are simply amusing yourself in the same way that I am & having a bit of a windup. Because if you are not, then you need to seek help as you appear incapable of reading & understanding simple English.

OK you've lost me now. What are you on about? what bad word? what anger? Please explain & try to use straightforward language as you would if addressing a perfectly normal average person who did not swallow a dictionary.

I'm sure you can manage it if you try hard.

It seems pretty obvious exactly who, in this debate, is making things personal in order to muddy the waters and avoid, at all costs, admitting to being mistaken and out of their depth.

Of course, there exists an alternate reality in which post 15 reads: "Crikey, I never realised that. Thanks Roots. You learn something every day", the thread is only 2 pages long and mjw has preserved his dignity.

I wonder which reality is the more desireable one.

Of course, there exists an alternate reality in which post 15 reads: "Crikey, I never realised that. Thanks Roots. You learn something every day", the thread is only 2 pages long and mjw has preserved his dignity.

I wonder which reality is the more desireable one.

Precisely, credibility and dignity now gone.

Archived