The law is still an ass

Tonight's news tells us that men found guilty of planning a terrorist attack on a TA barracks get 16 years, no explosives were found in their possession however. So the crime that they received the sentence for was for talking about an attack and working on a plan to carry it out. I'm willing to admit that 16 years is perhaps deserved.

Yet, a serial child rapist who so badly hurt his latest 11 year old victim that she needed extensive surgical repair has received only 6 years. An astonishing lack of consistency in our justice system.

And what do you think it is based on?

From what I have seen working in the Criminal Justice System it is anything but justice for the criminal.

I think it says it all when court staff in Sheffield were (I dont know if they still are as I'm not Court Service anymore) requested not to call them criminals, but instead use the term client.

Worse given the constraints (strict sentencing guidelines) that judges work under it cant be anything else (add a few utterly hopeless judges for good measure - though in general I think most do a pretty good, if thankless task).

Archived