Tory donors switching to Ukip, says party treasurer

Exactly how far. Could you supply some figures to back that up, given that

[a] the official national debt is £1,185,862,413,570 [LINK]

we are adding to that at an average of about £150 million each month [deficit].

Not to mention over £4.7 trillion of unfunded liabilities [LINK]

So you're saying that a one-off 50% tax on utilities and bank profits would amount to 5x the GDP of the entire country?

No wonder my gas bill is so high.

Don't you understand that those profits are factored in when GDP is calculated? :rolleyes:

(GDP is the total value of goods and services produced in a country in a year.)

If British Gas etc. were making more in profits than the rest of the country combined, we'd know about it.

If what you say is true, forget growth of 0.1%, George Osbourne is achieving growth of 600%+, the highest of any country in the history of this or any other world.

Have a think about it (stop if it starts to hurt).

Don't post facts and logical arguments, it spooks them.

Exactly how far. Could you supply some figures to back that up, given that

[a] the official national debt is £1,185,862,413,570 [LINK]

we are adding to that at an average of about £150 million each month [deficit].

Not to mention over £4.7 trillion of unfunded liabilities [LINK]

So you're saying that a one-off 50% tax on utilities and bank profits would amount to 5x the GDP of the entire country?

No wonder my gas bill is so high.

Don't you understand that those profits are factored in when GDP is calculated? :rolleyes:

(GDP is the total value of goods and services produced in a country in a year.)

If British Gas etc. were making more in profits than the rest of the country combined, we'd know about it.

If what you say is true, forget growth of 0.1%, George Osbourne is achieving growth of 600%+, the highest of any country in the history of this or any other world.

Have a think about it (stop if it starts to hurt).

It did start to hurt. I have no idea what you are babbling on about and I suspect neither do you either. The point I am making is much simpler. The bankers are the root cause of the debt we have so they should be the ones paying it off. Or are you happy that the ones paying are the poor, the less fortunate and the disabled? Yes or no please, no going off into babbleland.

It did start to hurt. I have no idea what you are babbling on about and I suspect neither do you either. The point I am making is much simpler. The bankers are the root cause of the debt we have so they should be the ones paying it off. Or are you happy that the ones paying are the poor, the less fortunate and the disabled? Yes or no please, no going off into babbleland.

Whenever I read this sort of claim, I always point people to this Guardian page, and in particular the first graph of the page which shows the deficit EXCLUDING FINANCIAL INTERVENTIONS.

As you can see, Gordon Brown started off with a nice surplus, then built it up to a record deficit, and remember, it's excluding financial interventions. This was at a time of a booming economy, the surplus should have grown rather than going into deficit.

But I don't think there really was a boom, it just felt like one. There was low unemployment, but many were employed by an expanded public sector, hence the increasing deficit.

Quote from Labour Uncut.

"The Electoral Commission has published its latest quarterly report on the donations to political parties. The first thing to note is that overall levels of donations to all political parties were down almost £1 million when compared to the first three months of the year. The Tories were down £250,000 receiving £3.8 million whilst Labour was down £450,000 receiving just under £3 million.

So it’s clear that Labour, already receiving less than the Tories, appears to be feeling the squeeze even more. The detail of the figures goes on to show that that even more of party’s income is now derived from a single source: the trade unions. Of all of the donations received by Labour in this reporting period more than £2 million, or about 70%, came from the Trade Unions. And of this £2 million, Unite gave over £840,000 almost double that of the next biggest, USDAW, at £429,000."

Your post misses the point, it is not about Tory and Labour funding, it is about how many wealthy Tory backers are now finding Ukip chimes most with their views and backing them accordingly. How much more support will the Tories haemorrage to Ukip. Instead of trying to make capital from the death of a former leader, Smarmy Dave would look much more like a leader if he took on Ukip, why isn't he taking them on?

Is this a joke :huh:

The liberals are not going to be a threat to anyone for many years :huh:

What, like in Eastleigh?

http://news.sky.com/story/1058520/eastleigh-lib-dems-win-tories-fall-to-third

Despite what people might think in the microcosm of Sheffield, the Lib Dems still have a lot of support.

They romp home in the council elections in my area time after time because they do a good job, and I'm proud to give them my support.

Not really. However the fact that the second party in our country is a wholly owned subsidiary of chippy unions might raise an eyebrow though.

I'm more worried by the fact that some CEOs of big companies give money to the Tory Party without asking their shareholders if they agree that decision. The Trade Unions have to ask their members, why shouldn't CEOs?

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 16:34 ----------

Your post misses the point, it is not about Tory and Labour funding, it is about how many wealthy Tory backers are now finding Ukip chimes most with their views and backing them accordingly. How much more support will the Tories haemorrage to Ukip. Instead of trying to make capital from the death of a former leader, Smarmy Dave would look much more like a leader if he took on Ukip, why isn't he taking them on?[/QUOTE]

I think the default position for Cameron and Osborne is 'divide and rule', it's what they're good at. Therefore I'll look forward to conservatives losing members to UKIP.

I'm more worried by the fact that some CEOs of big companies give money to the Tory Party without asking their shareholders if they agree that decision. The Trade Unions have to ask their members, why shouldn't CEOs?

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 16:34 ----------

Your post misses the point, it is not about Tory and Labour funding, it is about how many wealthy Tory backers are now finding Ukip chimes most with their views and backing them accordingly. How much more support will the Tories haemorrage to Ukip. Instead of trying to make capital from the death of a former leader, Smarmy Dave would look much more like a leader if he took on Ukip, why isn't he taking them on?[/QUOTE]

I think the default position for Cameron and Osborne is 'divide and rule', it's what they're good at. Therefore I'll look forward to conservatives losing members to UKIP.

Could be some very interesting results in next weeks' local elections.

Archived