Labour bets the house with pledge to outspend Tories

The thing is that we are borrowing loads now, and we will be doing for many many years to come. The causes of the crisis were very complex and the solutions will be equally complex. That is something that our failing politicians need to realise, whatever the colour of their rosette.

As for Labour's u-turn. It might be a good thing. If we borrow to build, to improve our infrastructure, to provide young people with jobs, that is investment. That's what we need to do.

At the moment we are borrowing to pay benefits. A brave Government would recognise that cutting benefits to middle class pensioners and middle class families is the correct thing to do. For example, many families don't need child benefit, many pensioners don't need a winter fuel allowance. Universal benefits have had their day.

That money would be better spent building houses and roads. It would provide employment and skill development for people too.

Of course, it is too much to hope that any of our political "Leaders" would embrace such a necessary, yet controversial approach.

The thing is that we are borrowing loads now, and we will be doing for many many years to come. The causes of the crisis were very complex and the solutions will be equally complex. That is something that our failing politicians need to realise, whatever the colour of their rosette.

As for Labour's u-turn. It might be a good thing. If we borrow to build, to improve our infrastructure, to provide young people with jobs, that is investment. That's what we need to do.

At the moment we are borrowing to pay benefits. A brave Government would recognise that cutting benefits to middle class pensioners and middle class families is the correct thing to do. For example, many families don't need child benefit, many pensioners don't need a winter fuel allowance. Universal benefits have had their day.

That money would be better spent building houses and roads. It would provide employment and skill development for people too.

Of course, it is too much to hope that any of our political "Leaders" would embrace such a necessary, yet controversial approach.

Can you define middle class....

I agree, but everything benefit handed out by the government should be means tested. How about adding to that list, expensive and pointless public sector benefits such as free takeaways if you do overtime.

I agree, but everything benefit handed out by the government should be means tested. How about adding to that list, expensive and pointless public sector benefits such as free takeaways if you do overtime.

How about free parking 24/7 for those who require free parking for their day to day job? Neither paid for by employee, nor taxed as a fringe benefit.

How about free parking 24/7 for those who require free parking for their day to day job? Neither paid for by employee, nor taxed as a fringe benefit.

I fail to see how being able to travel to your place of work and park is a benefit and so should never be taxed in the first place! Its just another idea dreamt up by the car hating liberals! A mobile and flexible workforce is what helped make this country great. Its a shame they don't recognise that fact!

:o Bugger, no-one told me about that one, and there was I working extra hours just for the additional pay but no pizza.

That’s just a short term fix that creates a much larger long term problem, because once those houses are built and occupied we are back to where we are now but with more debt, so to fix it again we will have to build more, and expand the population more, then build more and expand the population more and then build more and so and so on, I think you get the picture, it’s the economic model that got us into the crap we are in, perpetual population expansion and economic growth aren't sustainable.

That’s just a short term fix that creates a much larger long term problem, because once those houses are built and occupied we are back to where we are now but with more debt, so to fix it again we will have to build more, and expand the population more, then build more and expand the population more and then build more and so and so on, I think you get the picture, it’s the economic model that got us into the crap we are in, perpetual population expansion and economic growth aren't sustainable.

That's a fair point, but there will always be stuff to build and repair. Ultimately, I guess that we all need to settle for less.

Until then, some affordable housing would be nice.

Archived