Rolf Harris - Arrested

What puzzles me is the case of that weather man guy Fred Talbot, who's alleged historic sex abuse was reported on the other day; I can see how a victim of abuse from a big name like Jimmy Savile would reluctant to report it because of the aura of fame that he had, but Fred Talbot??!! what aura of fame did he have, what on earth stopped his alleged victim reporting him sooner?

Still waiting for the first politician to be arrested.

The difference is...during the 60's, 70's and 80's lots of popular TV and radio stars had groupies and gangs of teenage girls flocking around them.

Tony Benn, Dennis Skinner, Ted Heath, Shirley Williams and Michael Heseltine et al didn't.

Of course Harvey Proctor was an exception, in that he got prosecuted for what most of his chums probably thought was normal practice.

What puzzles me is the case of that weather man guy Fred Talbot, who's alleged historic sex abuse was reported on the other day; I can see how a victim of abuse from a big name like Jimmy Savile would reluctant to report it because of the aura of fame that he had, but Fred Talbot??!! what aura of fame did he have, what on earth stopped his alleged victim reporting him sooner?

I think you're confusing "aura of fame" as the victims primary excuse for not coming forward, with those in privileged positions knowing, but doing nothing about the offences based on "aura of fame" of the celebrity.

Victims have many reasons for not coming forward..those reasons can change over time or not..as the case may be.

Shame? Self-loathing/blame? A sense of isolation that has been ameliorated by the other cases? Police finally taking this sort of stuff seriously? Being approached as a witness to somebody's elses abuse? Finally coming to terms with the pain? Finally finding the courage? The right kind of understanding and support from a loved one? Counselling or therapy? A significant life event altering perspective?

The list really is pretty much andless as to why now is the right time it just saddens me so much that the only thought some people have is compensation. I'm not accusing you of that, by the way. It is just so insensitive and insulting and probably says a great deal more about the person who can only see that grubby explanation than the overwhelming majority of those brave enough to report these crimes.

Whatever our reaction to the man or the allegations, the most significant thing to bear in mind is that he has neither been convicted nor even charged with any offence.

Unless and until he is, enough of the prurient speculation.

If you take the 'No smoke without fire' approach to (alleged) crime, you are sinking to the level of the Daily Fail and repressive political regimes where rumour and unsubstantiated accusations determine what happens to people, either in terms of their reputation, or physically.

Shame? Self-loathing/blame? A sense of isolation that has been ameliorated by the other cases? Police finally taking this sort of stuff seriously? Being approached as a witness to somebody's elses abuse? Finally coming to terms with the pain? Finally finding the courage? The right kind of understanding and support from a loved one? Counselling or therapy? A significant life event altering perspective?

The list really is pretty much andless as to why now is the right time it just saddens me so much that the only thought some people have is compensation. I'm not accusing you of that, by the way. It is just so insensitive and insulting and probably says a great deal more about the person who can only see that grubby explanation than the overwhelming majority of those brave enough to report these crimes.

Well said that man.

It seems perfectly logical to me that people hiding unwarranted shame about crimes committed against them when they were young might now find the courage to come forward to make a statement. Knowledge that it happened to many others, that they are not alone, and that the authorities will take them seriously must be quite a relief for these victims.

Whatever our reaction to the man or the allegations, the most significant thing to bear in mind is that he has neither been convicted nor even charged with any offence.

Unless and until he is, enough of the prurient speculation.

If you take the 'No smoke without fire' approach to (alleged) crime, you are sinking to the level of the Daily Fail and repressive political regimes where rumour and unsubstantiated accusations determine what happens to people, either in terms of their reputation, or physically.

Well said that man.

It seems perfectly logical to me that people hiding unwarranted shame about crimes committed against them when they were young might now find the courage to come forward to make a statement. Knowledge that it happened to many others, that they are not alone, and that the authorities will take them seriously must be quite a relief for these victims.

Yes, all three of these.

Well said that man.

Then again a few may be jumping on the bandwagon

Archived