Who discovered America?

The history books claim Christopher Columbus discovered America. If that's true how come there were hundreds of thousands of folk already there?

I think under the amount of the rewriting of history we have seen a lately you will find that it was probably saint maggie :)

Depends how far you go back doesn't it, and how you define "discovered".

A slightly controversial take on the history

, on Youtube.

Who were the first Americans? Where did they come from? When did they first arrive here? This BBC documentary answers those questions. Scientist were stunned to find evidence of civilization in Brazil dating to around 50,000 years ago. Evidence of fire usage, rock art paintings, and some of the oldest skeletal remains ever found in the America's have established a new timeline for the arrival of modern humans in the America's. Analysis on skulls found show that they are more similar to the bone structure of Africans and Australian Aborigines.

I think the question can only be qualified with a guess...unless someone knows for sure.

---------- Post added 20-04-2013 at 00:28 ----------

Depends how far you go back doesn't it, and how you define "discovered".

And how you define "Who".

I think the question can only be qualified with a guess...unless someone knows for sure.

---------- Post added 20-04-2013 at 00:28 ----------

And how you define "Who".

I'd say hominids, but then i would. :D

---------- Post added 20-04-2013 at 00:42 ----------

Fence-sitter.:D (JOKE)

:hihi:

The history books claim Christopher Columbus discovered America. If that's true how come there were hundreds of thousands of folk already there?

Not sure what history books you have, but Columbus only got as far as what is now called the West Indies. He never actually set foot on American soil.

Many believe Amerigo Vespucci discovered America, though the convention was always to name a newly discovered land after the surname of the person who paid for the exploration, which would have Richard Americ [sp?] as having that right, though who he sponsered (and thus actually 'found' a land that did exist, though was not known to the Western World (but was, obviously, known to the people who lived there) is a matter of debate. And I don't know the answer.

---------- Post added 20-04-2013 at 01:47 ----------

I think under the amount of the rewriting of history we have seen a lately you will find that it was probably saint maggie :)

No, she ruined it with her anti this and that and everything else policies!!!

Not sure what history books you have, but Columbus only got as far as what is now called the West Indies. He never actually set foot on American soil.

Many believe Amerigo Vespucci discovered America, though the convention was always to name a newly discovered land after the surname of the person who paid for the exploration, which would have Richard Americ [sp?] as having that right, though who he sponsered (and thus actually 'found' a land that did exist, though was not known to the Western World (but was, obviously, known to the people who lived there) is a matter of debate. And I don't know the answer.

I remember this being brought up on QI, but i can't find the clip.

Snopes has an entry though.

Archived