Obesity and employers

Depends on the job, I'm sure that some employers are fattest but not all - I've worked for a few lardy bosses in the past and I'm sure they wouldn't hold it against her unless the job was physically demanding.

As they say 'never trust a skinny chef' perhaps she could use her weight to her advantage in some way.

It looks to me like she wants to make her weight an issue and that is the real problem.

The thing that got me about the interview was when she stated that (paraphasing) "You wouldn't ask a person of colour to change their colour or ask a disabled person to change their disability"

No you wouldn't because those are beyond the control of the individual. Stuffing your face full of cakes everyday IS a choice.

The thing that got me about the interview was when she stated that (paraphasing) "You wouldn't ask a person of colour to change their colour or ask a disabled person to change their disability"

No you wouldn't because those are beyond the control of the individual. Stuffing your face full of cakes everyday IS a choice.

In her defence she does say she has a thyroid problem which contributes to her weight.

It's daft really because anyone weighting 22 stone could easily drop 8-10 stone in under a year with a bit of effort. It's lack of discipline which is sadly the problem. I say sadly because its so very easy to build up self discipline. Experts say a new habit can be formed when repeated daily for 14 days.

Definitely a liability. Vending machine constantly empty, toilet breaks taking 45 minutes, extra wear and tear on office chairs and other furniture. The mind boggles.

This is actually true. There is someone in our office who is massively overweight. As a result, her back is wrecked and she keeps slipping discs etc etc ending up with six weeks at a time off work. Because of this she has had to have special equipment at her desk, which includes an over the top special chair which cost over £1k.

I know that in some cases there is a medical reason for it blah blah blah, but in this case there is nothing other than laziness stopping her from keeping fit. Life is a gift, we should appreciate it. We shouldn't sit there and feed ourselves to death.

Oh, and if I was a boss hiring someone. If I had two candidates with the same qualifications/experience etc, if one was overweight and the other wasn't, I would go for the healthier one. Its the smart choice.

This is actually true. There is someone in our office who is massively overweight. As a result, her back is wrecked and she keeps slipping discs etc etc ending up with six weeks at a time off work. Because of this she has had to have special equipment at her desk, which includes an over the top special chair which cost over £1k.

I know that in some cases there is a medical reason for it blah blah blah, but in this case there is nothing other than laziness stopping her from keeping fit. Life is a gift, we should appreciate it. We shouldn't sit there and feed ourselves to death.

Well said Penny.

In her defence she does say she has a thyroid problem which contributes to her weight.

Funny how it only came out when she was on the defensive when it was suggested that she take steps to loose weight though.

Sounded more like a unsubstantiated excuse.

Plus given the report I posted above, someone with a known & confirmed thyroid issue would be taking every step possible to curb the weight gain, not stuffing themselves with cakes, stolen or otherwise.

---------- Post added 20-04-2013 at 15:21 ----------

Oh, and if I was a boss hiring someone. If I had two candidates with the same qualifications/experience etc, if one was overweight and the other wasn't, I would go for the healthier one. Its the smart choice.

Indeed. It makes sense. Someone massively overweight is going to have health issues that will mean time off work which then impacts productivity.

Granted there's no guarantee that the smaller person won't be ill but the odds are in favour.

I'd keep that to yourself if you were an employer and didn't want to see a tribunal.

Well the woman in the interview said exactly the same thing on national television so, maybe not eh. :roll:

Ah, so it was on telly. Must to be totally legal and above board then to discriminate against the, how best to put it, bigger boned or glandularly challenged.

Archived