Obesity and employers

Really? I can think of loads of overweight people who have excelled in their careers.

Plus, when I've walked past the drop in center in Sheffield, everyone seems to be as skinny as bean poles, with track suits on.

It used to be that the poor were identifiable by their scrawniness. Now it's their fatness, or so people think.

The truth is that men in the lowest income quintile are thinnest. The thinnest women are in the richest income quintile. The second lowest income quintile has the high numbers of obese men and women - these are the working poor. The workforce now has 7 million obese workers. Up from 4 million in the 90s.

Please don't judge unless you have walked in the same shoes . I have Thyroid problems and trust me my weight issues have nothing to do with what I eat .If you get a minute just read up about Hypothyroidism and the problems it causes . I do bl...y marvelous I work very hard and any employer would be lucky to have me .In regard to personal hygiene what are you on about !!!! It's not being fat that causes poor hygiene it's the self respect of the person .There are plenty of thin people with pongy arm pits and bad breath out there .

:hihi::hihi:

That makes no sense at all.

I know. Are they anti-fat while being fat themselves?

Let's take a scenario. Would Jabba the Hut be forced to employ another slug-like creature like himself as a bounty hunter, for equality reasons. Or should he be able to employ somebody like Boba Fett.

---------- Post added 21-04-2013 at 10:15 ----------

Please don't judge unless you have walked in the same shoes . I have Thyroid problems and trust me my weight issues have nothing to do with what I eat .If you get a minute just read up about Hypothyroidism and the problems it causes . I do bl...y marvelous I work very hard and any employer would be lucky to have me .In regard to personal hygiene what are you on about !!!! It's not being fat that causes poor hygiene it's the self respect of the person .There are plenty of thin people with pongy arm pits and bad breath out there .

It's an important point. There are people like yourself with medical issues. Always have been. But there are a lot of people over-eating and under-exercising too.

I know. Are they anti-fat while being fat themselves?

Let's take a scenario. Would Jabba the Hut be forced to employ another slug-like creature like himself as a bounty hunter, for equality reasons. Or should he be able to employ somebody like Boba Fett.

Lets try and stay on topic shall we?

It's a silly example I agree but some employers are fat. And they operate businesses with roles they couldn't do themselves.

On this i have to agree.

Oh, by the way, i loved your example but i know the mods are keen for threads not to deviate from the op too much and my original reply would have taken us in a whole new direction.

Think Leia in that costume and your probably on the right tracks haha,..

As for fat bosses, in my last job my boss was happy to tell us all he weighed 24 stone.

Hes only like 5.9" too and boy can he sweat.

He was a great boss, a good bloke but he was stupidly over weight.

Don't be cruel mate, she's long term unemployed and needed cake and pies. Cakes and pies are not cheap and are luxury items when you're on benefits.

I'm wondering how some overweight long term unemployed people can afford to eat enough to remain overweight.

I can understand why you'd pick a fit person over a chubba I just wouldn't tell them why. I'm amazed, certainly as some cases of obesity are down to medical conditions rather than cake, that's its not breaking the law to discriminate against fat people but I can't, for example, discriminate against someone with no arms or employing a devout Muslim in an off licence.

You live and learn.

These cases are very rare though, although I do agree they exist. However, although it may be a medical condition, they can still do something to overcome it. I know someone who genuinely has a medical condition, finds it very very difficult to lose weight. He has struggled for years and years. Finally he was introduced to a certain kind of exercise and now he can keep control of it - he's not just sitting there moaning about not being able to do anything about it, he is working hard to overcome it.

Anyway.... as I was saying, they are very rare and most fat people will use this as an excuse to feel better about their laziness. If they exercised (even starting with a slow walk and building from there) and became more educated with their food choices then they would be amazed how quickly the weight would drop off.

I'm wondering how some overweight long term unemployed people can afford to eat enough to remain overweight.

Well, as in the link previously given, the overweight unemployed lady in the article was caught stealing cakes shortly after the interview. I find it hard to believe though that overweight long term unemployed people are able to remain overweight due to stealing their snacks of choice, because if you owned a cake shop with a recent spate of thefts and a very large woman came in, and she's checking out those cakes a little bit too hard, you're going to keep your eye on her. So my suspicion is that due to the lack of work, they are just lounging around and not burning any calories.

Maybe a longterm overweight person would like to post their daily routine on here so we can analyse the situation. Lets help, and not judge or blame, we're all friends here. This is a safe environment.

Archived