Know of any good urban nights?

peacenlove

Opps just read the other threads... Try not asking for R&B it tends to attract trouble go for hip-hop, broken beats, funk, and ragga-jungle. Good R&B still played but not advertised so as to avoid the chavs turning up and blinding us with their bling!

If you want a big night try feb 17th at plug good mix of music styles (shy fx, andy c and the phonetics crew - hip hop, brazilian d&b, funk, broken beats), if you want a quiet one try chocolate city fri 24th feb at the runaway girl (the old 1-11 jazz club at 111 arundel street).

See thats what Im saying fincess. There can be some decent one off nights, but there isnt any decent regular weekly urban nights which are anything to shout about.

hey what time do you have to be home before you're grounded?

Sheffield is brimming with urban nights. That is the crux of the music scene here!

Yeah, but my point is, where are the good weekly nights that play RnB (not funk, drum n bass etc) and HipHop? I haven't found any. Where I'm from there are weekly RnB nights practically every night of the week monday til sunday, that are advertised well, yet somehow I hardly ever encounter that many chavs! One off events, or monthly, don't really qualify as reliable RnB nights. No need to get all defensive just cause I'm from out of town, if anyone came to Liverpool from Sheffield looking for some good RnB, HipHop and Garage they would be spoilt for choice, there wouldn't be a need for them to put a post on a forum like this looking for one! Sheffield "brimming with urban nights"? I think not!

sorry peacenlove. I can't help with R&B that's not my thing and from my experience with doing my own nights any advertising of R&B or Garage results in lots of trouble and therefore not being able to do your nights anymore. Take what happened to Phonetics for example.

Hope you find what your after, I am more of a d&B, hip hop ragga jungle lady, my experience of the R&B and Garage crews has put me off.

N'e mind ey!

Ok, I'll try not to get started on the whole "Urban" tag - I mean, what about the dearth of decent "Rural" nights? I've always wondered why guitar bands from cities aren't included in the defintion of urban.

Putting that aside, fincess is right, there are lots of nights in sheffield that play R&B, Ragga and hip hop, but they also play other stuff too. That's to Sheffield's credit - many of us like to hear a broader range of music on a night out. Some of my favourite nights got really boring when they went through a stage of just playing loads of R&B.

And who cares that they're not weekly - with enough decent monthlies, there should be something decent on at least once a week (I've not checked this is the case). May be you need to broaden your horizons. Check Another Fine Mess at the Lescar this Friday (shameless plug). Hip hop, ragga, r&b, post punk, funk, twisted disco - essentially a night of damn fine tunes made and played by people who live in cities. Proper urban in a suburban stylee.

Yeah, but why should I go to a night that doesn't play music I like? And who exactly are you to tell me to broaden my horizons?! You don't know me or how 'broad my horizons' are, I think I'm at an age where I know what type of music I like, and that's what I want to listen to when I go out. Where the problem with that is, I don't know.

Ok, I'll try not to get started on the whole "Urban" tag - I mean, what about the dearth of decent "Rural" nights? I've always wondered why guitar bands from cities aren't included in the defintion of urban.

Urban is a term sometimes used in a musical context to define a selection of different types of music of black descent. Typical of a white person to question that definition and want it for themselves, instead of using their own terminology! Is nothing sacred anymore!:mad:

Archived