In favor or renewing Trident?

Renew Trident?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Renew Trident?

• Yes, renew them - money well spent!
    • No, get rid, it's a waste of money we haven't got!

Quite right!

There's no way they can reach the US or the UK with their missiles. We would have seen or heard about long range tests.

Nonsensical argument. It's just a matter of time. If they've developed weapons to whatever degree they have developed them, what is stopping them, or any other potential threat developing them further?

I return you to my previous point. The UK is a very wealthy country, good schools, good hospitals, good benefits, all much better than we had when the original trident was funded.

People are talking like buying a new trident will send us back to the dark ages and nobody will be able to see a doctor anymore, it's just nonsense.

Nonsensical argument. It's just a matter of time. If they've developed weapons to whatever degree they have developed them, what is stopping them, or any other potential threat developing them further?

I return you to my previous point. The UK is a very wealthy country, good schools, good hospitals, good benefits, all much better than we had when the original trident was funded.

People are talking like buying a new trident will send us back to the dark ages and nobody will be able to see a doctor anymore, it's just nonsense.

I don't think people are quite talking about Trident in the way you've put it.

I just think that people are sick of seeing cuts made everywhere, then spending made on useless bombs that will never be used, ever!

North Korea are only a threat to the south. And, to be honest, the south probably wouldn't need anyone's help if a war did break out.

Quite right!

There's no way they can reach the US or the UK with their missiles. We would have seen or heard about long range tests.

But it doesnt matter if he was in France.

Its just political words to get a better deal on economic sanctions on his country imposed by his fathers actions.

In fact his actions could be regarded as a progression towards improving the quality of life for the people of North Korea.

It may be the first step to the country being Democratic. The fall of the wall!

We need a nuclear arsenal to keep NK in it's place,

Hang on, are you saying that its only that the UK has a pointless nuclear weapon system that is keeping NK quiet????

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 08:58 ----------

So it's ok for Rouge States to build and fire off nuclear missiles as long as they don't hit us :loopy:

So if NK launch a nuclear strike on SK or Japan, we are going to fire one at them???:huh:

So which rogue states ARE we preventing from nuking us?

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 08:59 ----------

it keeps tbousands in a job

American jobs

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 09:05 ----------

The UK is a very wealthy country

Hmm, surely you are not saying that our glorious prime minister is lying when he says we have to make all these cuts??

Schools, hospititals, whatever, the money wasted on something that hasnt been used and will NEVER be used, could be far better spent elsewhere on something useful that WILL be used

for me it comes back to the same question - if the likes of Germany, Italy, Spain, Holland, Japan, all of South America, don't feel the need to have an independent nuclear deterrent, why should we feel the need?

I know it is argued that it gives us the right to have a permanent seat on the UN security council and therefore the ability to veto resolutions, but we haven't exercised that power since 1989 so is that limited influence worth so much?

Trident is what the UK brings to the Nato table; Nato is our safeguard against potential rogue states.

Does anyone honestly think that if the US, UK, France and Germany did away with nuclear weapons the likes of Russia would follow suit?

If we did away with our weapons of mass destruction tommorow Russia and China would not and that would shift the entire balance of real power in the world leaving us vulnerable, which I suspect is what some people want. :suspect:

Trident is what the UK brings to the Nato table; Nato is our safeguard against potential rogue states.

Does anyone honestly think that if the US, UK, France and Germany did away with nuclear weapons the likes of Russia would follow suit?

If we did away with our weapons of mass destruction tommorow Russia and China would not and that would shift the entire balance of real power in the world leaving us vulnerable, which I suspect is what some people want. :suspect:

but few are arguing that all NATO powers should "do away with" nuclear weapons - of course it makes sense for NATO to have nuclear capability - it just doesn't make sense for the UK to have an "independent" nuclear weapon

does anyone seriously believe we would use them without NATO's consent

and, incidentally, Germany is not an independent nuclear power - only the US, UK and France are in Western Europe

Archived