In favor or renewing Trident?

Renew Trident?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Renew Trident?

• Yes, renew them - money well spent!
    • No, get rid, it's a waste of money we haven't got!

Really?? So if we scrapped them all tomorrow, we would all be dead by Wednesday?

If Nato didn't have weapons of mass destruction, including nukes, and Russia retained theres, you bet the Russians would flex there muscles and start actin ard!! :hihi:

No seriously they would.

If neither the west or Russia had nuclear weapons there would have been a conventional WW3 before now.

Our nuclear deterrent is used every minute of every day.

if you mean that nuclear armed submarines (or at least one of them) are at sea 24 hours a day every day you are probably correct

if you mean that the existence of the so called deterrent is actively deterring an attack, i remain to be convinced

if you mean that nuclear armed submarines (or at least one of them) are at sea 24 hours a day every day you are probably correct

if you mean that the existence of the so called deterrent is actively deterring an attack, i remain to be convinced

I think that a near 70 year gap between nuclear bombs shows it does work as a deterrent . Do you think that America and Russia wouldn't have attacked each other if neither had nuclear weapons during the cold war ?

Our nuclear deterrent is used every minute of every day.

you DO have the proof of course??

I am carrying an EXCELLENT elephant deterrant, it must be working because I have never be attacked by an elephant

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 15:17 ----------

I think that a near 70 year gap between nuclear bombs shows it does work as a deterrent . Do you think that America and Russia wouldn't have attacked each other if neither had nuclear weapons during the cold war ?

but we are talking the UK here, are you seriously saying that if we didnt have nukes russia would have attacked us by now?

you DO have the proof of course??

I am carrying an EXCELLENT elephant deterrant, it must be working because I have never be attacked by an elephant

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 15:17 ----------

but we are talking the UK here, are you seriously saying that if we didnt have nukes russia would have attacked us by now?

I'm not saying that - I was answering the general question of nuclear deterrent, it was during the cold war. At the start of cold war we were a world power and the main threat was Russia and eastern Europe. It was valid then ? Totally. I'd like to see a cheaper nuclear alternative now as the threat isn't the same. From what I've read trident has 4 subs which will carry 8 missiles and 40 warheads. Do we need that much ? Should we look at a different delivery system than expensive submarines ?

Archived