In favor or renewing Trident?

Renew Trident?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Renew Trident?

• Yes, renew them - money well spent!
    • No, get rid, it's a waste of money we haven't got!

I'm not saying that - I was answering the general question of nuclear deterrent, it was during the cold war. At the start of cold war we were a world power and the main threat was Russia and eastern Europe. It was valid then ? Totally. I'd like to see a cheaper nuclear alternative now as the threat isn't the same. From what I've read trident has 4 subs which will carry 8 missiles and 40 warheads. Do we need that much ? Should we look at a different delivery system than expensive submarines ?

I would still question the need for the UK to have had an independant detterant during the cold war, but thats gone. Now the major threat is purely conventional (if you can call terrorism that) and so the money spent on nukes would be far better spent on conventional forces. After all taking 7/7 as an example. Who would we have nuked in retaliation? Also 9/11, america, with their prediliction of shoot first ask questions later didnt actually nuke anyone

I think that a near 70 year gap between nuclear bombs shows it does work as a deterrent . Do you think that America and Russia wouldn't have attacked each other if neither had nuclear weapons during the cold war ?

i'm not talking about American and Russian nuclear weapons, I'm talking about ours, if you'd cared to read my earlier post

do you think anyone would have attacked us if we hadn't got nuclear weapons?

i'm not talking about American and Russian nuclear weapons, I'm talking about ours, if you'd cared to read my earlier post

do you think anyone would have attacked us if we hadn't got nuclear weapons?

During the cold war possibly, but not now - but the question asked (by someone anyway) were nuclear weapons a deterrent (not specifically britain) overall yes they are. There hasn't been a major conflict between world powers since world war 2. I'm not saying nukes have been the sole reason by any stretch of the imagination but it hasn't done any harm.

I think the current set up is largly pointless, having read a bit more about it. I think we should have a nuclear deterrent but perhaps not one as big as it is or is being put forward. A fully operation aircraft carrier (with planes and everything !!) would be more use - and more likely to create/protect British jobs.

Yet.

(message to short)

And if they could? Why would they think we are a better target than all the others on the way?

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 19:11 ----------

No one can know what the future consequences would be, if we scraped the nuclear deterrent.

or, equally, what would happen if the money was used more sensibly

Archived