Is it healthier to be poor

How many of our aristocracy are obese and die young?

That should answer your question.

---------- Post added 31-07-2013 at 11:47 ----------

BUT you can eat healthily on a budget. Its convenience* that causes people to each bad foods.

* "convenience" is just "laziness" with good PR.

It's not just about food. There are a lot of reasons why poor people have a shorter life expectancy than the rich.

It's not just about food. There are a lot of reasons why poor people have a shorter life expectancy than the rich.

Health has to be the lead reason surely which will take us back to poor diet along with perhaps alcohol, nicotine and drugs will it not?

Health has to be the lead reason surely which will take us back to poor diet along with perhaps alcohol, nicotine and drugs will it not?

worry and stress have been proved to have a very detrimental effect on health, and I would argue that poorer people experience more of this.

worry and stress have been proved to have a very detrimental effect on health, and I would argue that poorer people experience more of this.

I would agree with you but would not either of these two factors lead a person to take less care of themselves anyway?

I have tried the 5/2 diet, it does seem quite popular. The main idea behind its health benefits is that we all eat too much, and being hungrey and lean is a good way to be healthier.

I dont think people need to cook to eat healthy food, but our Governments promote unhealthy lifestyles, health does not come into it.

Perhaps if we all had an army of private Doctor's following us around and then rushed to £5000 a night posh Hospitals the same as some members of our? Country are, then we would all live to be 100.

So the answer to the thread is NO!

• 7 months later...
Modern western society is the only society in history where the poorest are obese and the richest are thin.

Anyone that has travelled widely knows that there are no poor people in this country.

According to the latest study, middle class children are more likely to be obese than working class children

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/02/12/middle-class-children-more-prone-to-obesity_n_2667921.html

Interesting....I'd have said it was the other way round (that the poorer you are, the more likely you are to be overweight)

According to the latest study, middle class children are more likely to be obese than working class children

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/02/12/middle-class-children-more-prone-to-obesity_n_2667921.html

Interesting....I'd have said it was the other way round (that the poorer you are, the more likely you are to be overweight)

That doesn't make sense. If you are poor, then you have to do manual work, and therefore your weight will drop off. If you are middle class, you are less likely to do manual things for yourself, and therefore you will gain more weight, and use more mental power for work, and is more likely to have a white collar job too.

That doesn't make sense. If you are poor, then you have to do manual work, and therefore your weight will drop off. If you are middle class, you are less likely to do manual things for yourself, and therefore you will gain more weight, and use more mental power for work, and is more likely to have a white collar job too.

Yes but the study is referring to children specifically.

You're correct in that adults do different occupations and some of those occupations lend themselves to keeping the weight off, or putting it on.

I'd made the assumption that children from less privilidged backgrounds would more likely to be obese. Still, it's good to be proven wrong as it forced me to think about my attitudes....

Archived