30 murdered, 126 injured in shootings - USA

That's an average figure per day in the USA, from a reputable source. By my reckoning that's 210 people a week murdered by firearms. Suicides by firearms run at 53 a day, 371 a week.

Shocking though the tragic events in Boston undoubtedly are, these figures represent a massive and ongoing tragedy being played out across the states day by day and week by week.

It's time for politicians with courage to stop running scared of the NRA and start to take real steps the tackle this epidemic of murder and suffering.

Source - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/16/murders-shootings-and-gun-sales-per-day_n_2488664.html

USA has a population of 316 million. so these figures are:

Killed: 0.00000094%

Injured: 0.0000039%

There are countries in the world where those percentages are higher.

Plus your 'shocking' figures don't specify whom was firing the guns. I'll wager that some of those deaths are from police shooting at suspects that have/are firing at them.

It doesn't say how many of the injured are accidents such as hunting, a legitimate pastime in the US.

And as for suicides by guns, you can dismiss those because anyone at the stage that they've decided to commit suicide will do so, if there's no guns they will find another method.

You want to talk about overpopulation, start a thread. This is about gun control.

What do you know about gun control and Americans? The nearest you've been to America is Disney land. (just thought I'd peel that off before someone else does, after all it's inevitable).

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/20/bill-maher-that-bullsh-t-about-the-senate-and-the-second-amendment-should-be-rewritten/

Alternatively if people didn't get shot there would be more people in poverty and dying from poverty related ailments.

....assuming that the people not being shot were poor.

If less was spent on guns and the government could therefore spend less on dealing with gun crime, more could be done to help the poor.

....assuming that the people not being shot were poor.

If less was spent on guns and the government could therefore spend less on dealing with gun crime, more could be done to help the poor.

Even worse if they are rich, rich people consume more than poor people; the more rich people there are the more poverty there will be.

If we could go back and save the life of everyone that ever got shot, my guess is there would be more people, so more people starving to death.

Its tragic and all that but it's part of their culture. I can see a future where assault rifles are banned but never the rest - ever. It would be like a frenchman castigating Britain about its binge drinking - we can faff around the edges but we believe in this country it's everyone's god given right to get hammered on a Friday.

I don't really see the point in this thread apart from the chance to put the boot in.

USA has a population of 316 million. so these figures are:

Killed: 0.00000094%

Injured: 0.0000039%

There are countries in the world where those percentages are higher.

Plus your 'shocking' figures don't specify whom was firing the guns. I'll wager that some of those deaths are from police shooting at suspects that have/are firing at them.

It doesn't say how many of the injured are accidents such as hunting, a legitimate pastime in the US.

And as for suicides by guns, you can dismiss those because anyone at the stage that they've decided to commit suicide will do so, if there's no guns they will find another method.

Let's say accidental gun deaths through a legitimate means accounts for 50%, that would indicate control and responsibility wasn't exactly working..would it?

Suicide can be about one single dreadful decision in one single dreadful moment. If there is no immediate opportunity to act that moment can pass and that desicion can, at least, be postponed or, at best, be never made.

I accept that other methods of suicide can be immediately to hand. However, I also imagine that there are not many methods as immediate, certain and pain-free as using a readily-available gun. Guns just make it a bit easier to act.

I am in not saying you were wrong, far from it, as those who are deteremined to commit suicide will always find a way if they are not given the correct help. Some however, pass in and out of sucidal ideation and, whilst I understand and accept your point, I just thought it needed a little ammendment as I do think the removal of guns would see a slight decrease in suicide rates due to the reasons given above.

That's an average figure per day in the USA, from a reputable source. By my reckoning that's 210 people a week murdered by firearms. Suicides by firearms run at 53 a day, 371 a week.

Shocking though the tragic events in Boston undoubtedly are, these figures represent a massive and ongoing tragedy being played out across the states day by day and week by week.

It's time for politicians with courage to stop running scared of the NRA and start to take real steps the tackle this epidemic of murder and suffering.

Source - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/16/murders-shootings-and-gun-sales-per-day_n_2488664.html

Why pick out the USA? There are far more murders in Mexico. Indeed on the entire American continents (north & south) there is probably only Canada that has a lower level of murder and violent crime than the USA. Don't any of the others fit the case you are trying to dream up about the USA and gun possession?

Why pick out the USA? There are far more murders in Mexico. Indeed on the entire American continents (north & south) there is probably only Canada that has a lower level of murder and violent crime than the USA. Don't any of the others fit the case you are trying to dream up about the USA and gun possession?

The other countries you mention don't hold themselves up as the great exemplar of how everybody should be though.

Archived