St Barnabas School, Cecil Road

only_me

I got married at St Barnabas Church, Highfields. The Shell of the original building still stands but I believe it was converted into apartments.

Thanks sharrovian. If you don't mind me asking, how long ago was that and where can the shell be found?

It was within the last 20 years or so that St Barnabas church was turned into the OAP flats.

It was still in use as a church into the 1980s, (I went there as a kid) and externally it looks no different than when it was the church.

It was within the last 20 years or so that St Barnabas church was turned into the OAP flats.

It was still in use as a church into the 1980s, (I went there as a kid) and externally it looks no different than when it was the church.

I was interested to read about St Barnabas church. I remember we all attended there on Armistice day from Sharrow lane school in the 30's. One lad in my class was a choir boy there,and at school morning assembly, would sing a hymn. 'Oh for the wings of a dove' was a favourite.

When I was in the cubs in the 50's, we used to go Church parade at St. Barnabus. It seemed like a really big impressive place to me at the time. It was our local church and we had our cub meetings at Alderson Road school. You could get to St. Barnabus church through a little gennel which ran from the back of the school onto Kearsley Road.

Cecil Road school was on Cecil Road, which ran off Sitwell Road. It has now been demolished but I seem to remember seeing some photos of it on another thread on the Forum.

http://www.friendsreunited.com/album.page/album?albumKey=385320&albumType=1&member_key=0&mediaKey=0&commentPage=0

Here is a picture of St Barnabas Cecil Road just before demolition. I seem to remember the school celebrated its centenary year in 1972 although i could be a year out.

I lived two streets away from this school, on Mount Pleasant Road. It's odd, I don't remember Cecil Road being at such an angle... I remember it as being much flatter than that! :o

I do remember it being a very dark, and "brooding" building, in a very blackened brick/ stone. I don't think it had a very large school yard.

that date would sound about right, Only Me... most Victorian schools were built in the 1870's under the schools act (IIRC< The Schools Act, 1872?)

I do remember the demolitions of the houses and the school, in about 1978. they demolished most of Horner Road, all of Cecil and Sherrington Roads, and Sitwell road. They demolished the first half of Mount Pleasant Road (on the evens side, from 2-40, approx) at that time, then in 1979, they demolished the other half of the even numbers on our street, and the odds where we lived.

They built the new Sharrow Infants school, on the site of the even-numbers, and Mount Pleasant Park across the rest of the land, up to where Horner Road and Herschell Road were.

I was a choir boy at St Barnabas during the war . Arthur Revill was the vicar and what a great bloke he was. I also was in the scouts at the same time before moving on to St Chads Abbey Lane

Yes I remember Mr. Revill. As you say he was a really good man.

• 1 year later...

My Grandparents lived in Batt St from 1913. My granfather, father and his brother sang with St Barnabas choir in the 1920s. They also played soccer with St Barnabas. I have numerous photographs of St Barnabas choir groups on choir trips. Some are dated 1926. I'd be interested to identify any of them.