Pound coin 30 years old.

21st April was the 30th anniversary of the introduction of the pound coin.

The old pound note would buy 2 pints of beer. The current pound coin is only good for 1/3 pint. If you have any old pound notes nip in to your local and order a couple of pints.

The old pound note would buy 2 pints of beer. The current pound coin is only good for 1/3 pint.

The original pound coin was the gold sovereign:

A sovereign is a British gold coin, equal to one pound sterling, first struck in 1489 for Henry VII.

LINK

A modern sovereign is a bit lighter but you would still need about 240 pound coins to buy one.

Remember, inflation is theft.

21st April was the 30th anniversary of the introduction of the pound coin.

The old pound note would buy 2 pints of beer. .

When I wer a lad in(1959)one pound note would buy 20, yes twenty, pints of cider and mild ,mixed that is.

When I wer a lad in(1959)one pound note would buy 20, yes twenty, pints of cider and mild ,mixed that is.

The pound coin has been around a bit longer than I have. I think a pint of cider would have cost around £2 when I fist went into pubs, but I usually managed to find folk to buy it for me.

Does anyone know how many different designs of pound coins have been issued in the last 30 years. I started to collect different designs but gave up when I had around 3 dozen and needed the cash.

http://www.royalmint.com/~/media/Files/onepounddesignsposter.ashx

I used to collect these, until a sibling stole them, and it put me off of coin collecting somewhat. I now collect them again, along with various other coins. Glad my decent stash of coins never got stolen.

http://www.royalmint.com/~/media/Files/onepounddesignsposter.ashx

I used to collect these, until a sibling stole them, and it put me off of coin collecting somewhat. I now collect them again, along with various other coins. Glad my decent stash of coins never got stolen.

I've just checked through the 20 or so that remain in my collection and 7 are not shown in that link.

Archived