Eastwood debate on BBC Radio Sheffield this morning

Well I can't imagine RMBC ploughing £10,000,000 into one area, the figures might have come from including outside investment, there's certainly nothing obvious to see where that sort of money has gone when driving through.

It's a dump, sorry to say, but its true. I usually listen to RS.

What was the general reaction from the public about the discussion ?

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 15:06 ----------

Apologise, they have built a big leisure centre across the road, classed as Eastwood but more or less Rotherham town centre. The area I am thinking of is further out towards dalton.

There is also a new building on the roundabout, with green cladding, not sure what that is but again it's not really on the residential side of Eastwood.

The Leisure Centre is in St Anne's - not Eastwood

The building near the roundabout is a youth centre run by YMCA White Rose and not the Council. This is classed as Wharnecliffe / Town Centre - not Eastwood

There's a newish playground etc next to the community Centre on Erskine Road - must have cost a bit bot not £10 million

The Leisure Centre is in St Anne's - not Eastwood

The building near the roundabout is a youth centre run by YMCA White Rose and not the Council. This is classed as Wharnecliffe / Town Centre - not Eastwood

There's a newish playground etc next to the community Centre on Erskine Road - must have cost a bit bot not £10 million

Sorry, I would have classed it as Eastwood, I thought st Anne's was just the name of the roundabout, they have probably included the leisure centre in the figures.

I think it comes down to the reasons stated above.

No industry, no work and cheap housing, there are a lot of places around Rotherham struggling.

I was talking with a friend about it the other day, it seems every councils answer these days is to build shops, or allow them to be built, in these areas that struggle.

Wow, with all the litter and domestic appliances strewn over the pavements, I could've sworn that was Page Hall :wow:

Interesting to see that houses do look like they have had some refurbishment done to their exteriors, similar to the ones in parts of S4 and S5.

I'd heard on Radio Sheffield a few weeks ago that one cause of tension between the locals and the Slovakians / Roma Gypsies was the tradition of playing outside all night when the snow first falls in Winter.

So you have Slovakian kids out playing at 2am on a weekday morning, making a helluva noise and preventing neighbours from sleeping...

I suppose the liberal dream was that importing Third World people into a First World country would improve the manners and living standards of the Third Worlders to the First World. It seems to have had the opposite effect...

Still, at least Big Business has a plentiful pool of cheap, unskilled, exploitable labour in the form of these immigrants (although our taxes pay their child benefits)

I have known people who live there and although this was a few years ago it always gave the appearance of being a rather unloved council estate. I can never understand why any council allows it's tenants to use their front garden as a parking spot after having ripped the hedge out or semi destroyed the fencing. Also the tenants who have gardens looking like a cross between a jungle and a fly tip. Maybe if the councils concerned got a bit tougher with their housing agreements it could help.

To be fair I've seen quite a lot people who have bought their own house do that too. Why should they be allowed to do it but council tenants shouldn't?

Yes I was visiting every day and indeed was born and bred in the area ,its now virtually a slum and indeed a no go area,you will see that every day down there and down the backs rubbish just thrown anywhere

---------- Post added 24-04-2013 at 11:30 ----------

pitsmoor firth park and burngreave are far worst than eastwood

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Lived there,lived in Eastwood ,visit Eastwood regularly and no they are not

---------- Post added 24-04-2013 at 11:32 ----------

If anyone thinks there are areas the police "daren't go" then they are a teeny bit deluded...

They are hundreds of places in the UK the Police will not go unless they are seriously mob handed

Yes I was visiting every day and indeed was born and bred in the area ,its now virtually a slum and indeed a no go area,you will see that every day down there and down the backs rubbish just thrown anywhere

Thanks for your post Glamrocker, I'm keen to hear the experience of people who've actually lived in Eastwood.

How was it before the Eastern Europeans moved in?

Thanks for your post Glamrocker, I'm keen to hear the experience of people who've actually lived in Eastwood.

How was it before the Eastern Europeans moved in?

The problem stems back well before the Eastern europeans moved in ,back in the 60/70's the council decided to put all Pakistani immigrant families into the area,this had the effect of causing non integration on the immigrants part,they didnt need to it was like home from home as far as they were concened and they really didnt need anyone else ,it sorted itself out eventually and it quietened down then what do the council do ? the same again but with the Eastern Europeans now down there ,I dont know about elsewhere,the two factions just dont get on and it can become a bit atmospheric to say the least.The strange thing its the Pakistanis who are mainly the landlords down there as they tend to but any house that comes up for sale and usually the tenants are the Europeans.So the council are filling their houses with EE'S and the Asians are doing the same

The mess though what you see in the pictures and what I said about the backs is probably 99% eastern European caused although they do tend to recycle any useable "rubbish" dumped mattresses ,settees etc theyd o though tend to have extraordinary amounts of household rubbish which they also dump on the streets.

i went to a local community meeting as a invited guest last year and was asked,as a ex eastwooder,what i thought of Eastwood now ,my answer was i used to love Eastwood and will always have a everlasting affinity with the area...but i wouldnt live their now rent free and for a gold pig.

Archived