Eastwood debate on BBC Radio Sheffield this morning

The problem stems back well before the Eastern europeans moved in ,back in the 60/70's the council decided to put all Pakistani immigrant families into the area,

That is interesting because it happened relatively early; were the Pakistani immigrant families moved there as part of slum clearances similar to those in 1960s Sheffield?

Pakistani immigrant families didn't really move in to the Page Hall / Fir Vale areas of Sheffield in high numbers until a few decades later, probably the late 1980s / early 1990s.

I don't know why people are surprised to hear about Eastwood, it's always been rough and unloved. I used to go the ATC unit down there back when I was 14, it had it's problems then and roll on 23 years, nothing has changed.

Neighbouring area of Dolton used to be the same, however, after much bulldozing and redevelopment the area improved drastically. I think Eastwood is beyond this though.

I don't know why people are surprised to hear about Eastwood, it's always been rough and unloved. I used to go the ATC unit down there back when I was 14, it had it's problems then and roll on 23 years, nothing has changed.

Neighbouring area of Dolton used to be the same, however, after much bulldozing and redevelopment the area improved drastically. I think Eastwood is beyond this though.

Eastwood was not always like that I lived there until the middle 70's,the problems were just starting about then but i remember it as a kid down there and some of the streets and housing ,Bethel Rd , Eldon Rd,Erskine Rd were pretty much sought after now its just one big dump ,the play area what someone mentioned stands idle as re its original intentions ,makes a good market place for the local dealers though.

---------- Post added 24-04-2013 at 18:16 ----------

That is interesting because it happened relatively early; were the Pakistani immigrant families moved there as part of slum clearances similar to those in 1960s Sheffield?

Pakistani immigrant families didn't really move in to the Page Hall / Fir Vale areas of Sheffield in high numbers until a few decades later, probably the late 1980s / early 1990s.

not to my knowledge there were very few immigrant families around Rotherham until the late 60's they just seemed to descend on the area en masse ,where they came from I dont know ,the only slum clearance locally was just over St Anns Rd on the ouskirts of town and as far as I know there was just one Arab family living there,Coloureds were that rare on the ground round there then as kids we used to run out and stare at them as something unusual to the area in fact I remember the first time we saw a African coloured we talked about it for ages

Archived