Student financing for a Masters Degree??

My daughter is just about to complete her Degree in Bio-medical Science & has been accepted onto a Masters Degree doing Neuro-Science. Because it isn't classed as a follow on she isn't eligible for a student loan. Has anyone got any ideas or know of sponsor-ships? :help:

We are at a lost & she is very down hearted. She has worked so hard to get where she is & we do not have the means to fund it ourselves (I do work!).

It seems her only option is a Education loan from the bank which won't even cover her fee's never mind her living costs. The repayments are ridiculous as well! Her part time job wont cover much at all & she cant work any more hours due to study commitments.

No guarantee of a PhD being funded, and alot of competition for the funded places. Also, PhD will often be research based whereas an MSc can be very different to that.

I got a Career Developemnt Loan for my Masters, worked like a bank loan except payment was deferred while studying. Interest was not favourable once you started paying back, but then I just consolidated into a normal bank loan.

However, I was fortunate that my Masters was ESF 'funded' in that at least I got my fees paid. I don't know if there are any funded courses anymore?

Good luck to her.

No guarantee of a PhD being funded, and alot of competition for the funded places. Also, PhD will often be research based whereas an MSc can be very different to that.

I got a Career Developemnt Loan for my Masters, worked like a bank loan except payment was deferred while studying. Interest was not favourable once you started paying back, but then I just consolidated into a normal bank loan.

However, I was fortunate that my Masters was ESF 'funded' in that at least I got my fees paid. I don't know if there are any funded courses anymore?

Good luck to her.

If you apply to do an advertised PhD it will be funded. It can be different-thats why I was asking. What benefit do you get from a masters? It might be to get onto a PhD for instance.

Some PhDs require a Masters before you can even get onto them

I sympathise with the OP - she should be able to defer her place to save up, which might work in combination with a bank loan?

It's a horrendous time for anyone doing postgraduate study at the moment. If she needs to take time out to work and save, though, she won't be alone - postgraduate students are often older, come from different backgrounds, etc.

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 12:44 ----------

If you apply to do an advertised PhD it will be funded. It can be different-thats why I was asking. What benefit do you get from a masters? It might be to get onto a PhD for instance.

Not necessarily - check out this list of PhDs in neuroscience at the Sheffield Medical School - most only open to self-funded students...

As I understand it, having a MAsters and friends with PhDs, they often offer different experiences - PhDs being tightly focussed on one research topic, MScs can be more broad, and not all based on a research project.

You may want a masters to get onto a PhD, or a masters might be better received by certain employers than a PhD.

My son went straight on to a funded PhD after his degree so it is possible. Another possibility he was looking at was through one of the forces, as they will sometimes support people through further study, but I think you have to sign on for so many years in return. He was looking at becoming a doctor through the RAF.

Archived