Student financing for a Masters Degree??

Some PhDs require a Masters before you can even get onto them

I sympathise with the OP - she should be able to defer her place to save up, which might work in combination with a bank loan?

It's a horrendous time for anyone doing postgraduate study at the moment. If she needs to take time out to work and save, though, she won't be alone - postgraduate students are often older, come from different backgrounds, etc.

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 12:44 ----------

Not necessarily - check out this list of PhDs in neuroscience at the Sheffield Medical School - most only open to self-funded students...

thats a way of a lecturer getting research done almost for free, its usually taken up by rich foreign students. You would be mad to do it! That's the reason so many are on offer, because they have not been funded.

---------- Post added 25-04-2013 at 15:42 ----------

As I understand it, having a MAsters and friends with PhDs, they often offer different experiences - PhDs being tightly focussed on one research topic, MScs can be more broad, and not all based on a research project.

You may want a masters to get onto a PhD, or a masters might be better received by certain employers than a PhD.

thats why I asked, if you need a masters to do a PhD at the uni you want to go to or if you only want to go up to masters level fair enough. I just wanted to be sure they knew that you don't need a masters to do a PhD.

I am not sure a masters gives you much over a degree in employment terms but it depends what you are doing.

My son went straight on to a funded PhD after his degree so it is possible. Another possibility he was looking at was through one of the forces, as they will sometimes support people through further study, but I think you have to sign on for so many years in return. He was looking at becoming a doctor through the RAF.

It's getting rarer and rarer now tho, many more people are applying for Phd's and although most of them say you only need a 2:2 from a degree, in reality you 'need' an Msc because everyone else applying will have one.

There's less funding floating around so less Phd's being offered and there's more people looking to join them because there's less jobs out there that they would otherwise go and do.

Archived