I need a van, a small van.

(ideally to the tune of classic eurythmics hit "I need a man") I need a van.

A small van, something with at least a 6ft long load bay. Must have decent mpg (40mpg ?), and if anyone has real-world figures I'd love to hear them - those are the two main criteria. My choice so far is a vw caddy maxi but the only ones in my limited price range are heaps. If my plan works I'll upgrade within 6 or 12 months but if it doesn't I don't want to have blown a whole stack of cash - so it might be something older - transit connect maybe.

Thoughts ?

I'm getting about 27 mpg in a MWB Transit, obviously that's bigger than you're looking at but 40 would be very good, 30-35 more realistic unless is a newish van.

Thats interesting, I was thinking about a transit and can probably put my pen through it. My 05 lwb master will do about 30 if driven carefully, but I could really do with something considerably more ecominical than that. Other option would be a mondeo estate I guess, which would be economical and better for site visit duties (the other possible use) but won't do the carrying-of-stuff bit as well as a van.

i bought an ex post office vauxhall combo. 3 yrs old. it had been restricted to 70mph max so in the 3 yrs if had been used it had never gone above that.

the engine is/was immaculate its only a 1.3 diesel but i get a comfortable 52 - 55 mpg

what about a peugeot expert hdi ,i used to have one and got great mpg (was only a year old when i got it )and have good load space and can be picked up quite cheap now .try to get 07 on as i belive you get 6 speed box as standard and go for 2.0 hdi not 1.6

i bought an ex post office vauxhall combo. 3 yrs old. it had been restricted to 70mph max so in the 3 yrs if had been used it had never gone above that.

the engine is/was immaculate its only a 1.3 diesel but i get a comfortable 52 - 55 mpg

I’ve got a 04 plate combo, and i would highly recommend them. I can only guess that the newer ones are even better.

That might be worth a shout. Has it got a 6ft load area (must be close I guess?). Have you got it to 70mph? It will do a fair bit of motorway work so I'm wondering if it will be a bone shaker or be alright - and as economical. I drove a sprinter once, and to be honest put the spurs to it a bit and did over 80 - fuel levels dropped like a stone !!

Archived