Do schools mess people up?

For my degree and out of interest I've read a fair bit about the 'Democratic School' movement.

The essential gist of 'democratic schools' is that the children are able to have choice in what they learn about and so are able to pursue their interests and take responsibility for themselves, rather than having a curriculum prescribed to them which they have no choice about. The idea being that the children will then reach adulthood with their curiosity about the world around them intact, and therefore be less bothered about stupid nonsense like fashion trends! Imagine that!

Anyone familiar with any of us? Any thoughts?

I read a lot about that stuff but forgot about it really but i've taken a massive interest in it again after qualifying as a teacher but sacking it off because it depressed me too much.

The last straw for me was marking the 'autobiography' of a Y5 girl who spent the whole of it talking about her granddad dying, giving supportive comments etc, and being told that I had to give her a low grade for her 'incorrect usage of the apostrophe'. What on earth. That was the moment when I made the link between these kinds of schooling experiences and the students that infuriated me at uni who didn't give a toss about learning anything, but rather orientated everything what grade they'd have at the end of it.

Couple of links if anyone's fussed:

Anyone else got any thoughts on the state of education in your country? State education specifically? Does any of that stuff i've yarned on about make sense or is it a load of rubbish? A great idea but unrealistic?

It is far too big a question to answer in a thread like this.

The 'democratic school' concept is not new. Read A.S. Neill's 'Summerhill' (his account of his 1960s school with similar ideas, voluntary curriculum, children made the rules, etc). It succeeded in some respects, but failed, by and large in others. I do not think it would work with most children, who, given the choice, would not to study choose subjects they found hard (even though with a little perseverance they could achieve in them).

The content of the National Curriculum is not that bad, to be honest. It's the way teachers are being forced to deliver it in a rigid, formulaic way which is dispiriting and anti-educational.

Your pupil's essay : there was nothing to stop you heaping praise upon the girl for the content, whilst acknowledging its technical weaknesses.

Pull the lads out bout 12 & send them to work with us men! School was a big waste of my time n go me nowhere n I see people who stayed to end with high grades n I'm miles better off. They in coop n crap like that

You went to school with chickens? :huh:

Pull the lads out bout 12 & send them to work with us men! School was a big waste of my time n go me nowhere n I see people who stayed to end with high grades n I'm miles better off. They in coop n crap like that

Agree. I left school at 12 and now own my own dance agency.

Archived