Is celebrating St Georges Day racist?

Doesn't stop every other country doing it.

Apparently we're only allowed to be proud of chicken tikka massla as it got voted the favourite food we ask foreigners to cook when we can't be bothered at some point in the 90s and has been trotted out ever since by certain people as our "national dish".

Apparently we're only allowed to be proud of chicken tikka massla as it got voted the favourite food we ask foreigners to cook when we can't be bothered at some point in the 90s and has been trotted out ever since by certain people as our "national dish".

The UK has always willingly embraced foreign influences and adopted them firmly into our own culture. I would say our love of tea is a better example than chicken tikka massala, probably followed by chocolate.

Yet on St Georges Day some people are at pains to point out St George was a foreign (much like many other things in our culture then which you never hear them complain about). I can only imagine they are racist or xenophobic, as otherwise St George being foreign wouldn't be something to be bothered about.

Why? How can you be proud of something that you've only achieved through accident of birth?

Do you apply the same principal of thought about LGBT holding their 'Pride' events :suspect:

---------- Post added 24-04-2013 at 00:08 ----------

The UK has always willingly embraced foreign influences and adopted them firmly into our own culture. I would say our love of tea is a better example than chicken tikka massala, probably followed by chocolate.

Yet on St Georges Day some people are at pains to point out St George was a foreign (much like many other things in our culture then which you never hear them complain about). I can only imagine they are racist or xenophobic, as otherwise St George being foreign wouldn't be something to be bothered about.

Spot on, it's either their reverse psychology or simple hypocrisy !

Since when was any nationality an ethnic race? Surely being born in England makes someone English regardless of ethnic background.

and

Why? How can you be proud of something that you've only achieved through accident of birth?

Being born in England is not necessary to be called English, all inhabitants of England are, by some definitions, English.

2. ( functioning as plural ) the English the natives or inhabitants of England collectively

how do you know it was an accident?

are you saying you can only be proud of things you have personally achieved by deliberate action?

celebrating St George's day is not inherently racist - although some of those who do may well be

My mother was English,My Father was English They were both born in England,neither as far as I know ever left England ..how can there have been an accident in where I was born ?

Do you apply the same principal of thought about LGBT holding their 'Pride' events :suspect:

I don't hold any principles yet. I just asked questions. I might agree with the answers.

I think someone should tell Cameron he has no right to be "proud" to be English.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22258694

Or is it just us plebonians that have no right to be?

I never said you had no right to be.

are you saying you can only be proud of things you have personally achieved by deliberate action?

No. I've not said that.

Everyone is getting very upset about a very simple question, and nobody is willing to answer it.

..how can there have been an accident in where I was born ?

You've achieved your Englishness then? It is something you worked towards?

My mother was English,My Father was English They were both born in England,neither as far as I know ever left England ..how can there have been an accident in where I was born ?

I think you were most probably just an 'accident', Glam ;)

I don't hold any principles yet. I just asked questions. I might agree with the answers.

I never said you had no right to be.

No. I've not said that.

Everyone is getting very upset about a very simple question, and nobody is willing to answer it.

You've achieved your Englishness then? It is something you worked towards?

Not in so many words,but the fact you are even questioning someones pride would suggest otherwise.And as far as I can see,he answered you,but you still persist to question him.Is it not the answer you wanted?How would you like him to answer?...

Yes mate,your quite right,being accidentally born English doesn't give me the right to be a proud Englishman.

Would that do you?

Archived