Is celebrating St Georges Day racist?

Not overly, although some things touch me. Orwell, Bertrand Russell, The Beatles. :)

I don't understand patriotism though, I'm immune to it. It's never got through to me.

I should also add that I don't think patriotism is ugly be default. It's a complex set of beliefs sometimes, a philosophical mask which can easily hide something ugly or something beautiful behind it.

Three of the Beatles were Irish descent, hope that hasn't put you off them.;)

Is it just the English/st georges day thing or don't you get any country's national pride ?

Some countries have a different culture. Irish Nationalism is different, for example. They were oppressed and there are religious factors involved. That makes a certain sense, in a way.

American patriotism is often verging on the hysterical and jingoistic, and I'm glad that British people aren't that way inclined. We're a little more cynical, which I suppose may be one reason that we don't really adore our own national day that much.

The Germans aren't that keen on flag waving since WW2, notably. You never see them going mad for a parade anymore.

Three of the Beatles were Irish descent

So am I. :P

I hope when all you English were celebrating your national day yesterday, someone gave a rousing chorus of the Flanders & Swann ditty from years ago 'A Song of Patriotic Prejudice'. The chorus goes:

'The English, the English, the English are best,

I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest.'

As long as people realise it was always performed tongue in cheek, then no-one should mind how it insults the rest of us. They wouldn't get away with it these days. :roll:

I hope when all you English were celebrating your national day yesterday, someone gave a rousing chorus of the Flanders & Swann ditty from years ago 'A Song of Patriotic Prejudice'. The chorus goes:

As long as people realise it was always performed tongue in cheek, then no-one should mind how it insults the rest of us. They wouldn't get away with it these days. :roll:

I make sure I am only in the company of English folk when I sing that little ditty:hihi:

But seriously I do have a problem with patriotism when It displays a kind of aggressive threatening tribal mentality,then it does become racist and is pathetic!

The old ones are the best,

Archived